Don't do this!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricochet

Reaction score
Located a nice 21 Parker in late Feb. Worked out a deal with owner. Boat was in a marina blocked by a couple other boats, owner told me in writing the boat would be available for shipment in 2 weeks. Boat is about 2 hours away in another state. Small yard and marina.

6 weeks after cashing my check – 4 weeks after I was promised boat would be ready, I still don’t have it. I called the marina once and was told – “we’ll call you when we get around to it, don’t call us again”.

I am a patient guy but finally had enough last week and told prior owner to talk with marina and have the boat ready for shipment next week or refund my money. Deal is between you and me, not marina. After threatening legal action he finally call’s marina for the first time, then leaves me a message – “as of yesterday Governor just shut down all marinas, so it won’t be ready until May” and in his exact words I am “SOL”.

That’s if they decide to open things up in May (2 months after he cashed my check) and marina decides to move the one boat that’s in front of it now.

Meanwhile his new boat at that same marina has long since been in his slip. Our marinas in NJ are open and my slip has been available for weeks. Boat haulers have commercial exception so shipping is no problem. If the lazy lying slob kept his word my boat would be in my slip well before all the shutdowns started.

Nice boat, but in hindsight I’ve been around long enough and should have realized early on the guy was a jack ass and just walked away. All’s he cared about was my check clearing. At this point I'm thinking of just calling my lawyer and have her handle the mess.

Don't underestimate the potential problems of taking possession of a used boat especially when it's in a private marina / yard like I did. After talking with a hauler familiar with the area I was told my problem was not unusual. Once they know a boat is leaving their marina, they have little interest in helping you out.

With all the virus crap going on I know people have much, much bigger problems – but I really hate lying BSing slobs who don’t keep their word.

Sorry to say this but I don't think you really helped yourself much in this situation, and the whole global pandemic thing definitely didn't make it better. There is a lot of info missing here but from what you wrote below I dont think the seller did much wrong, maybe he is lazy or unhelpful, but that's about it. If the boat being ready for pick up was something that needed to happen before he got paid, he would have been a hell of a lot more helpfull I'm sure.

As for the Marina, they have no fault here... You should have talked with the marina directly before you coughed up the cash. That really an important step as Marina's are known to hold on to boat until they are paid for storage and services. Never take someone at their word when you're buying a boat, the Marina could care less what the seller told you in an email. You should have talked to the marina directly about when you could pick it up, verifying what the seller told you. Marina's are usually behind in the spring and boats being buried in the yard is not an uncommon occurrence. Not sure where the boat is but assuming is a state what there is a government shut down, what do you expect them to do? Risk their health so that someone who is not a member can pick up their boat?

If you want to blow off some steam and be mad at people who weren't in the wrong, that's always something you can do. Posting about it on the internet invites criticism though. Be mad at the pandemic if you want... we all are.

Good luck with your situation, hopefully things work out for you when the world gets on the other side of the pandemic.

Back