Drilling Pilot House Roof

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see some of my pixs in here. :) Another tool that works well, is a Fostner bit.....It creates a Flat bottom hole. A pilot of say 1/8in is drilled thru the top panel Only. This is your guide for the fostner......With the Fostner...Drill the top surface and thru the core.....Stopping at the inner glass....Then tape and backfill.

I see some of my pixs in here. :) Another tool that works well, is a Fostner bit.....It creates a Flat bottom hole. A pilot of say 1/8in is drilled thru the top panel Only. This is your guide for the fostner......With the Fostner...Drill the top surface and thru the core.....Stopping at the inner glass....Then tape and backfill.

Thanks Wart. Have read many of your posts and have taken many of your suggestions.

Have a few questions for you.

Do you have a recommendation on type of Fostner Bit ? (Saw tooth rim, continuous rim, wavy rim ?) I have been practicing on a piece of scrap cut out from my dash. I noticed using dewalt, cobalt 7/16" twist bit would sometimes bind when drilling the scrap. However, using a milwaukee, titanium coated bit worked great. Is one Fostner bit better than another for this application ?

Also, could the fostner bit be used on a slight angle ? I'm using a Battlewagon mount (your recommendation) where the cable runs up through the center of the mount. I wanted to drill that hole at a slight angle so the cable does not have to be bent hard once it enters the cabin.

Would you also give a little more detail on drilling thru the core ? Don't understand what you mean by "stopping at the inner glass ... then tape and backfill."
What would I be taping if I did Not drill completely thru ?

Much appreciated !

I have some cheap HF Fostners :) Drill on a angle? No...You'd have to have a drill press to do that and everything clamped down.

Drill thru the top skin/fiberglass......Drill thru the core.....Stop drilling when you hit the bottom skin .....That leaves a bottom in the hole and your filler will not just fall out or need to be taped on the bottom / inside.

Taping: Tape around the hole very precisely..... This is so your filler doesn't get all over and look like crap.
Filler = epoxy/Cabisol mix.....or Polyester/Cabisol mix

Back