Electrical help please

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCparker

Reaction score
It seems like almost every time I go down to my boat and turn on the batteries, I get no juice to anything other than the motor. I end up having to trip the breaker thats mounted in the back below the battery switch. Once I do that, everything is fine and comes on. I am at a complete loss as to where to even start trying to diagnose this. so, any thoughts, or any cause for alarm?

Some information for all you troubleshooters out there:
I use my boat almost every day, doesn't seem to matter how long or short it has been sitting.
This happens like 8 or 9 times out of 10. Not every time, but just about.
I always turn my battery switch to off when I leave the boat.
It happens whether I go to 1, both or 2 when turning on.
Nothing is "on" on the boat when I turn the batteries on.
Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

FishFactory":37yhxjoc said:
Weak breaker? Not too hard to pull out and check.
Agreed, pull it out of the circuit and replace. But could be corrosion built-up somewhere and maybe cycling the switch is wiping off the corrosion.

FWIW I have my main stern breaker mounted in a 'water-resistant/environmentally sound' tupperware box where rubber grommets were used to bring the main wire leads into the box. Secure the box to the stern with silicone-sealed screws, route wires through rubber grommets, and apply dielectric great to everything including the lid seal and snap on the lid. PRESTO! Poor man's NEMA waterproof box.

Links and photos below if you really want to go hog wild and purchase industry waterproof boxes and water-tight connections. Use McMaster Carr catalog page for the "Liquid tight nylon cord grips".

d538e4c762f124d4d4b05d45403436f8.jpg

CordGrips.jpg

Source for boxes, click here,

X2.

Was having same problem and replaced. $5 fix and back in business. Didn't go the waterproof box route as Dale did (although I probably should have).

I did however, pick up a couple of spares to through in the e-box kit along with spare glass fuses, tie-wraps, CRC, etc.

Back