Engine Cowl Drain Corrosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
I am posting a response I made to a Hull Truth dialogue concerning the F150. I discovered my drain problem last week. I will be replacing one drain/alignment post because of the damage.

The only issue on mine is the cowl drain corrosion. Salt water eats the drain/alignment fixture because it is uncoated aluminum. They are located under the engine cowl at the front. Tubes channel the water that enters the cowl through these posts to drain out the front of the engine. The rear alignment posts are coated and do not have drains. Check yours now and habitually spray Salt Away into them after use. Mine is also an 11/03 F150 -- perhaps later models have corrected this problem. 423 hrs. and no oil burn. She gets oil and filter change every 75 hours, new plugs every 100, new lower unit lube twice a year. Salt Away flush after each use. Frequently check/change the fuel filters. I always run maintenance dose of Ring Free. It will go to the dealer for the first check up after striper season is over.

Ranger Tim there is a Yamaha bulletin out on this ...02006-004 and the fix I believe is covered under warranty. I plan to speak to my mechanic about it even though I have had no prpblems yet.

Ray

I'll be checking with my dealer soon. I've got the Y.E.S. warranty so I hope they give me a new part. Mine is half gone! The tubing is corroded shut. I would rout it out but that would allow salt water to flow into the engine compartment.

Ranger Tim. I looked into that Yamaha bulletin I referenced and found that it was for a defect in the air intake in the cowling that could allow water to pocket in the passage and drip on the engine. It could explain why some folks have reported water inside their engines. The fix involves dismantling the air intake and using silicone. Check with the dealer if your engine (serial number) is affected and if so it should be covered. You need only bring in the cowling.

The corrision of the fittings does not involve this bulletin. IMO Yamaha should also replace them as I understand the problem is caused by dissimilar metals used. I have no corrosion on mine yet but will keep a close eye on it. Please let us know how you make out under the warranty.

Ray

Finally got onder the canvas this week to check the cowling drains and to have the upper air intake part of the cowling resealed in accordance with the Yamaha Bulletin. I have a 2006 F150 and found that the brass nipple extends through both ends of the pot metal base. This should take care of the corrosion you folks talked about. Apparently Yamaha changed the design.

Ray

Back