First look... BlackLab Supercab Sleeper

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Just saw this post by Jay on the alloy site.
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic ... highlight=
She isn't a real pilothouse, but she has potential for folks who like this sort of rig.

PANA0182.jpg

PANA0173.jpg

PANA0188.jpg

Essentially Jay took a Supertop, closed it in, and stretched the nose a bit in order to get a v-berth in it. There are a few photos on the site at http://blacklabmarine.com/v2sup.html

I have not seen pricing on the Supercab, as it wasn't in the last price list that was published. I'm sure that'll be updated soon now that the first one has been built though. Once I see pricing, I'll let you know.

Aluminum boats are an interesting option to fiberglass. I had an aluminum catamaran in the early 80's I bought used and recently saw it still being used in Tampa and it is now 43 years old. If taken care of with some simple maintenance, they last and last.

They are lighter and thus better on fuel than most fiberglass boats. Unless they are well insulated they are noisy at anchor as the waves ping against the metal hull. Mine needed electrolysis protection and had a gauge in the cabin that showed me when stray currents were likely to eat my boat. Currents came from poorly wired docks, being close to some boats with generators, etc. I kept an anode for aluminum on the keel and carried rods of the same material. Then I could clip the rods onto my cleats until the gauge was in the good range so the rods in the water sacrificed instead on my boat hull.

There was no skid protection built into the aluminum so I added fine ground glass to deck paint to help. Finishing aluminum to fiberglass mold quality is difficult and expensive so I used non-gloss paint to cover some lack of smoothness sins in the hull and cabin.

Hull painting usually meant going down to bare metal, good aluminum priming, then final coats.

Added labor (welding) made my aluminum boat more expensive than a comparable fiberglass hull. But I ran it up on the beach and through debris that would have chipped fiberglass so it had many advantages too. ...................Pete

gw204":2t6zyvq6 said:
EEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!! :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

True. No compound curves in alloy.
You either love them for reasons other than beauty, or you don't. :wink:

I really like that dog house design.
Eastern boats had a 27ft one of a kind like that at the NE boat show and it had an awesome full stand up head.
Only thing I didn't like about it was the beam being 8ft 6.
10 - 12 ft beam would be much better!

Back