fishbox divider / pen boards

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCparker

Reaction score
I have the full transom fishbox on my 28. I would really like to divide it into two compartments from time to time. For offshore fishing, I would keep it wide open and fill with ice / slurry. But when I am bass fishing, etc, that box is just so big that I really need alot of ice in there to properly ice down a few fish. I feel that if I can divide it, then I could use alot less ice while at the same time really burying the fish in ice. I'm thinking some type of slide in divider, but I havent really figured out the best way to install it yet. So was wondering if anyone devised a way of doing this? thanks

Two 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" square posts, on each side (maybe across the bottom too?) placed from top to bottom on each side, like railroad tracks, would allow a divider made out of starboard to slide in an out.

You could probably even line the bottom of the 'U' where the the divider fills that U, with closed-cell foam sealing tape, to try and keep it somewhat water-tight, to keep your ice & slurry on one side.

Dividers could go across the bottom too. See sketch.

Attachments

• FishBox.jpg
    FishBox.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 517
Dale-
Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking, but how would you attach those posts to the fishbox? Doesnt seem like there is much meat there at all to put a screw into. Just use some adhesive like 5200?
thanks

What is the box made of? If glass, you could epoxy the rails in if made of frp. check McMaster-Carr, as they have frp products in various shapes. As long as rails can 'glue' to the box, the divider can even be cut from a cheap cutting board from WalMart.

I have been trying to think of a good way to do this also, you are right Its hard keeping the fish on ice unless I line the entire bottom of the fish box with (3) 20 lb bags of ice. but I would like to try and use two dividers so that the center of the box is for ice and fish and keep the areas under the storage bins clear. Some of the bigger fish can really wack the heck out of those bins to where the lids pop open, afraid of them getting damaged, and I like keeping the bins in I use them alot

I would not screw or bond anything into the inside of the box. Cutting the piece of Starboard to block it off into 2 sections is easy. Making the block stay in place is the trick. I have an idea. In the top starboard lid section, behind the hinge, you could drill a couple 1/4" holes that would line up with holes on the edge of the insert and then put 2 stainless bolts through those holes, thus pinning the top in. At the bottom cut a piece of starboard about 2" wide and however long needed to prevent the insert from sliding back. This longer piece is put in on the other side of the fish box. You now have top and bottom support and no holes in the box. See quick sketches.

Attachments

• DSCN0620_640x480.jpg
    DSCN0620_640x480.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 484
  • DSCN0621_640x480.jpg
    DSCN0621_640x480.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 484
Keep the ideas coming, I have also been thinking about ways to do something simular , but be water tight to work as a bait well on one side and fish box or dry storage on the other side.
The divider would have to be a little off center to encompass the existing drain. :?

I don't think water tight and removable are possible. The only way to make it water tight is to completely seal it with 5200 or glass it.

If you could find a rubber made-type container with perfect dimensions (and deep enough) it could sit inside the box, place non-skid rubber mat underneath so it doesn't slide around, use plastic fittings and tygon hose to plumb it to the drain. Just an idea.

Windknot - your idea is very close to what I was thinking. Screw down a middle divider from the top then use two bottom bars to hold it in - Kind of like something like the pickup truck tension bars that go across the beds to keep stuff from sliding. I am goign to think about this a little longer before I decide, but will post whatever I end up doing.

I use a small tuna bag with 20# of ice and put in the transom fish box when i don't need all the room. Works well, i also wanted to come up with a divider system but, I came to the conclusion the only thing I would have been satisfied with would be rather permanent.

Just for the record, I found out this weekend that the fish box can hold a 142# mako and completelty cool it in a slurry of sea water and ice. I put boat plugs in the two drains to close them off. Sorry no pictures, but she fit in there really nice. Much better than laying on the deck for several hours. Needless to say it was also a great day fishing.

I have a custom front deck on my Parker 21 SE. 2 dry boxes in front and an insulated fish box across the bow.
I came to the same decision about the need to divide the box. I placed the divider at about two thirds of the box.
I used corian solid surface material to make the (rails or channels?). The divider is made of starboard.
The rails were glued together with the same epoxy used for counter top installations. Once I made the parts
I just bedded the rails in with silicone and put the starboard in to hold everything in place while the silicone set.
I did not try to make it waterproof. I felt like it would be a lot of trouble and would likely leak anyway.
I must say that it works great. I fish Galveston bay mostly. I put redfish in the big side and trout in the smaller side.
I can pull the divider out for kingfish or cobia. It is easier to clean with the divider out. One thing I did was not make the
rail closest to the back go all the way to the bottom so that water drains. If I were to do it again I would stop both rails
about an inch or two from the bottom so as to make cleaning with a brush easy.

I have other posts under JPEG, I had lost the account info.

A few pics...

Attachments

• 2013062395220341.jpg
    2013062395220341.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 2013062395220356.jpg
    2013062395220356.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 230
I'm new to my Parker, and haven't had any time to determine the best use of the fish box and the "drop in" boxes on either side. I have a 2520XL with full transom. Curious what you guys are storing in there. The "drop-ins" fill up with water when in rains, and the lack of insulation on the large section had me thinking of gear storage instead of fish....but clearly everything in there is getting wet. Are you storing anything in the fish box, or only using for fish? Pictures would be great!

Thanks

Rob

ludicrous-
It took me 2 days to realize how worthless those drop in boxes are. Yes, they rapidly fill up with water. So, I driled a bunch of 3/8 holes in the bottom of them all so they at least drain. I keep my soap, softscrub and other bottles of cleaning stuff in one side. In the other side I keep some miscellaneous things that can get wet.

In the fish box I store my landing net, but mostly keep it for fish. I had to bend the hoop of my net to make it fit at first.

Back