Fuel use question?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

Reaction score
Not really sure which forum to put this in. I have been "internet" shopping used CC boats for quite a while now. Very nice and clean, late 90's model Parkers seem to show up fairly often. Especially if you don't mind driving. Many will have same year Johnsons on them which I assume are carbureted. I am not sure if this is a big turn off or not.

Just how much more gas will one of these older style engines use as compared to the HPDI/2S and DFI/4S? I know it is tough to get an exact comparison, different boats, conditions, drivers, loads, trolling, speeds, etc. Just a ballpark estimate or experiences would be great. The boat I run now has a '94 Rude 115 and the gas it burns, well I don't want to say it is negligible but it isn't much. The 17' Whaler Outrage is TINY compared to a 23 Parker though, even an 18' Parker I suspect.

Not even counting reliability, obviously these somewhat older boats with original power require a much lower price but over the long haul with gas $3-$4 a gallon it seems to lose the attractiveness.

21-23 foot CC 200-225hp

Nothing exact, just wondering if a late model yamaha will get 2.5-3mpg all else equal what will a good tuned up carb version get? 2-2.5mpg? 1.5-2mpg? 25% more fuel? twice as much fuel?

Anyone have any personal experience going from one to the other?

Not really a good comparison but.......

My previous boat had a single 93 200hp carbed Ocean Pro Johnrude on it, it was 25 feet with a 24 degree deep v.

My current boat is a Parker 2530 with Twin F200's on it.

The 2530 get the same if not a little better mileage than previous boat with the single.

Thanks guys. I am coming around to thinking the difference is probably pretty significant. That said and new 4 strokes running $20-25K is it really worth buying a boat that isn't already rigged with one? I think it would need to be a hell of a deal on a super clean boat.

or you could say that as "...all the money saved buying used is lost if you repower." If all goes well I do plan on keeping it a long time.

Here’s one fuel use calculation that keeps running through my head and that of my older brother, since he wants to upgrade his ’87 Yam 150hp 2-strokers to the new Yam 4-strokes. But as is, his OBs are running flawlessly, as they have for the life of those motors. He’ll average 200-300 hours each season, so there’s almost 7000 [worst case] hours on those OBs, and the compressions are still right on!

To me, to make an honest comparision, you really needs to think about how many miles you’ll put on the boat each year. Let’s assume 1000 miles, and we’ll add 25-cents per gallon for oil for the 2-stroke, even though clearly the 4-stroke will need oil changes too.

But looking at the numbers, even if a new 4-stroke SAVED me up to $1500 per season, it’ll take me at least 10-years or more before I break even (versus the investment) … specially when the OB I have is perfectly useable, less she really likes gas and oil :D !

And I’ll agree, as I am looking forward to the day I put a new Suzuki 250hp or 300hp on the stern, there sure is a FUN factor with new power :) !

P.S. - If anyone wants a copy of the Excel sheet to run their own numbers, just PM me. Gotta get back to work!

Attachments

• Fuel.JPG
    Fuel.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 378
I ran 250 miles throughout the Pamlico Sound Last year over one weekend of Tarpon fishing. My 2100 DV CC / 200 HPDI averaged 2.4 MPG. That was with 70 lbs. of bait, 2 guys, and gear with a big mix of idling, cruising, and hauling a$$ (and yes I will run down the same boat pushed by a 4 stroke).

Noise difference is noticeable at idle, but not much beyond that. You can check out decibal differences between the HPDI and 4s at various RPM's on the Yamaha site.

IMHO, yammy HPDI and carbed 2s should not be compared in the same conversation. Yes, oil consumption adds up for an HPDI vs. 4s, but if you find the boat you want and it has an HPDI hanging off of it, I wouldn't walk away because it is a "2 Stroke".

My last boat had a Johnson Ocean Pro on it and it was an outstanding motor.
Folks who know these motors will tell you, they are in the same class as the OX66 Yamaha.
Bullet proof. :wink:

I'd love to have a new 300 hp 4-stroke on my boat too, but when I can push my old girl to 34 kts fully loaded with a single 225 OX66, it makes me smile.

I'm going to keep my old skool 2-stroke for as long as she will have me. :)

Megabyte":qezy545v said:
My last boat had a Johnson Ocean Pro on it and it was an outstanding motor.

Mine was too, I even popped a bearing with it and it still got me home.
Thats where I come from. :D

Back