Gel Coat Stress Cracks and Deck Repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK1GRAY

Reaction score
I've got a 95' 1800 that has started to get stress cracks in the gel coat around most of the deck mounted fixtures (i.e. T-top and lean post) and some where the deck meets the hull. Without being too invasive is there a recommended product for repair. I have read about painting the deck but I would prefer to keep the gel coat. I've also just cut out a front section of the forward deck to install a hatch (there was an existing soft spot) and found the wood inside to look and feel like taking a dip of Skoal except I could squeeze the water out. After digging between the the top gel coat layer and the bottom resin layer I plan on sliding treated 3/4" wood back in and sealing it up with West System and then install the hatch in the hole (that way the rest of the gel coat remains original. Has anyone come across this problem?? And would it be worth having the deck replaced but of course the cost would be a big factor. O' and I do believe that pictures say more than the ramblings above. Opinions and suggestions please. :shock: :?: :shock: :?:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 750
  • DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01125.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 750
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 750
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 750
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 750
though i didnt take any pics when i repaired my floor, the mees you have looks similiar. take a screw driver (upside down) and tap the floor you will find that your rot is most like further along. you'll here a difference in the ping sound,ping=solid, (thud)=rot. there is no way for the water to get out of the floor since its glassed on both sides.
cut floor out, set depth of saw to cut out top glass only..(3/8 inch) peel up floor saving the fiberglass for template.
its not as expensive as letting someone else do it for you.

Latest posts

Back