Going over the maximum width

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

Reaction score
The Parker 25' among other boats and models are well over the maximum width allowed by most all states. How do you get around this if you have to trailer?

Is there a permit you have to buy every year to be in compliance? I am in Texas which has a 8.5' max width but would think it should be like most other states in how you get around the law. How much money we talking here?

Thanks!

You have to pull permits in each state which you travel. Most of the time they arent too expensive and fairly easy to get over the internet. Main thing is having a truck that can pull it and obviously you already have it with your 2500HD.

Great so it sounds like it isn't that big a deal.

Back when I was a kid I got tired of hearing my Dad complain about how much of a pain it was to pull a big boat (only a 23 Mako). It seemed to really affect where we went and basic attitude if you know what I mean. Now that I have my own family and I'm the Dad the first thing I did was get my tow vehicle squared away. A little more money up front but I think worth it. I don't think of a 3/4 ton diesel as a trade off of any kind, at least not the Chevy. Drop the tire pressure down to around 40lbs and it rides and drives awesome. I drive it to work everyday just as well as any 1/2 ton.

I have a permit for Florida for 10'6" it cost 20 bucks filled it out over the internet. I am probably a little wider with the trailer guides and I know im 13'8" to the wheel on the tower. Thats the hard part. I have never been stopped about size. especially down here in Florida. However, if i were to tow to the keys you can bet i would have signs flags stickers permits and a band following me. FHP down there stops everyone towing a boat to make their jobs worthwhile.

That is great news thanks. I can handle $20.

I won't have to worry about the Keys unfortunately. I think that would be a 2000 mile trip for me. 450 miles to Port Aransas from Dallas, TX is bad enough.

Yes sir, not sure if it is optimistic at the moment but yes looking at the 25 SE. A 23 may be more in line and realistic though. I just keep saving and researching, we'll see what happens. I'm not one to trade around a lot so I want one I can be happy with for a while.

Lots of good, big fishing lakes around where I live. All within a 100 miles so the boat will be kept near home since that is where it will be used the most often. I also take at least a couple coastal trips each year that are anywhere from 300 to 450 miles one way. Not nearly as bad a drive as you have but none the less will not be cheap. You gotta pay to play, no way around that.

Back