Good MP3 - FM Radio Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeFlies

Reaction score
I'm looking into the POLY-PLANAR MP3-KIT-A MP3 INPUT/SPEAKER/AMP KIT, but was wondering if there is another system that might have the capability to plug an IPOD (or another MP3 player) into the system and also be able to get basic FM/AM radio? I don't need a CD player, but I heard some brands actually have the ability to download songs into the "hard drive" on the system, eliminating the need to brings CDs with you. I'm not very knowledgeable about these systems, but could you add an adapter for the MP3 input so you could get a radio to work? It doesn't need to be a top of the line system, just dependable and pretty good. What are some of the better brands for these type of systems? I would prefer to mount the receiver inside my center console and just have a small remote to work the functions.

It Looks like this might do the trick - both a radio and MP3 player. Would this work with the Poly -Plannar kit, allowing both radio and files to be played?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SanDisk- ... tDetail.do
Thanks.

I don't have one, I still go the cheap, portable stereo way.

But we've studied it before. Maybe about half the models have ports. Here's West Marine's stereo link, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... reId=10001

Look through it for ones with jacks. Here's one example at the front of the link, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=12988

Here's one of their pages with three models, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... reId=10001

The MP3 players can hold hundreds of songs, you bring it with you, plug it in to the stereo and use the stereo's amplifier to run it through the boat's speakers.

Dana

Not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish but this system has a flush mount head. The box can be located anywhere you want. The box has audio input jacks so you can plug an mp3 player into it. You don't need an mp3 with an fm tuner. Just an mp3 player. Of course, if you want to receive an FM signal, you are going to need an antenna.

Bottom line, I can get FM/AM, MP3, XM radio.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Pictures 012 (Medium).jpg
    Pictures 012 (Medium).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Pictures 009 (Medium).jpg
    Pictures 009 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 515
I have the Jensen MSR2007, purchased from West Marine. It has a waterproof faceplace that you mount on the dash and the guts of the radio get mounted wherever you want. There is an optional iPod cable that connects to the control box. Once you plug in your iPod, you control the iPod from the radio. Works pretty good. I don't have picture of it mounted, but go to West Marine ans search for MSR2007. I see they just came out with MSR7007 that adds a CD player.

I have a very similar setup in my boat. Sansa, amp and speakers. You don't need the kit per say, any amp and speakers will work. The sansa is basically the head unit, control volume, play, etc. The sansa is attached with velcro to the dash, mini jack to rca cable to the amp, and speaker wire to the speakers. Power and ground to the amp, and a remote turn on wired to a switch on the dash (on/off switch for the amp). The FM sansa works great and is inexpensive. I wish it had AM though. At the end of th day put the sansa in your pocket and or use it in your car.

Stacy

Attachments

• sansa_mt.JPG
    sansa_mt.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 509
  • spkr_mt.JPG
    spkr_mt.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 509
Thanks for your help. The MP3 player also has a AM/FM radio built into it as well. It looks like it will work.

Samsims:

Tell me more about those window covers! Did you have those made or did you buyt them somewhere? Are they UV resistent?

TheOtherLine:

My wife made those for me. They are a meduim weight nylon (like a coat shell), velcro to the cabin liner. They do make the cabin liner a little fuzzy where they attach but nothing bad. I don't know if the material blocks uv or not, not a huge concern her in the NW. I mainly wanted th privacy and to keep the thieving eyes out.

Stacy

samsims":31bm8mav said:
TheOtherLine:

I mainly wanted th privacy and to keep the thieving eyes out.

Stacy

Very nice. Gave me a good idea. For me, since I keep my boat outside, I want to protect the cabin interior from the boiling sun. Maybe I could use that double sided velcro. Attach one side to the window frame and the other to some product that would repel UV. Thanks.

Back