GPS Internal vs. External Antenna

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
I am going to be ordering the Standard Horizon CP180 chart plotter and was wonder what everyone’s thoughts were on an internal antenna instead of the external one.

What do you guy’s think?

Is there any benefit in getting an external?
When I talked to the guy at the NY show he recommended the internal. I'm just not sure.

It will be installed on a walk around no hard top.

Mike2043":3juvxb78 said:
I am going to be ordering the Standard Horizon CP180 chart plotter and was wonder what everyone’s thoughts were on an internal antenna instead of the external one.

What do you guy’s think?
It really depends on 2 things, sight lines and then just how sensitive that internal antenna may be. I have seen internal antenna GPSs lose signals when the satellites are low on the horizon, on boats with no top, but rails and other superstructure.

If it were my boat and there were any questions about sight lines (that might have high front/side window frames) then I'd go external, but I'd err to be more cautious. I do all my installs anyway so the dealer wouldn't be a factor, other than their opinion only.

External. Better line of sight, and usually better reception. Plus, the internal acts as a backup if the ext gets broken (if the unit still has it, I'm not sure if SiTex does).

With a walk around you should be fine getting a north and south shot at the horizon. If you attach an external antenna it overrides the internal one. Why not try it without the external hooked up for a couple of trips and make sure your signal doesn't drop out. Send it back if your OK with the internal because it just adds to the clutter on your boat. One more thing to keep clean if you don't need it. Just my 2 cents.

mstelmac----- My first thought was to get the internal and then add the external if need, however the unit I bought is not made that way. It's one way or the other..

Mike,

I understand you now. My thoughts were the same. The external antenna is a sure bet for you and I know it will turn out awesome! Too bad we can't fast forward to spring!

-Matt

I have this same unit with external antenna. the unit is really nice, easy to use, and won't break the bank. It is also easy to see in the sun. i wish i had room to flush mount mine. The bracket for external mounting is really flimsy. I notice it will rock and roll in any chop. mine is mounted in a todd box, on oak, which is thru bolted in the box. i can see it rattle when i am in chop.

pete

Back