GPS WIRE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
HELP.. I was finishing up the instalation of my chartplotter and I cut the antena wire so i could pust it threw the hole. The manual said the wire was made so it could be cut and then put back together. My question is what do I need to splice these wire together?

They are very small and my wire splicer don not have a cutter hole on it that small to strip it.

Suggestion please..

I am going to Hme depot and was thinking something like they would use for phone line?

The antenna wire should be co-ax cable. You should be able to purchase the connectors a Radio Shack unless they are the TNC model.
Be sure to read the installation directions closely, manufacturers have specific lenghts necessary for the installation in order to achieve optimal performance and the spare wire is to be coiled not bunched or folded.
Tom

The wire is not coax. That would have been to easy. I have 8 separate wires. The home depot guy was great he steered me to Radio Shack. I went to Radio Shack and they had the very small butt connectors. I will make all the connections put on liquid tape and heat shrink if possible.

I just re-read the manual and it says nothing about the leanth of the cable. I cut so I have enough with just a little extra.

i would go to Radio Shack and purchase a handy box with the largest terminal strip that will fit. The cables can be seales with waterproof strain reliefs. In the future if you interface youe electronics the strip is there making the job much easier. When complete just put a dab of dielectric grease on all the terminals. This if hiw I did mine and once all the wires were in the box it was a piece of cake.
Good Luck.
Tom

Is it a garmin?

If so, what you cut sounds like the garmin link cable, which is actually a standard ethernet (computer networking) cable.

The Garmin cables are meant to be cut at the end, and then a new connecto be crimped on.

You should be OK splicing in the middle just try to keep the conductors twisted around each other if possible. It's "twisted pair" cable and the twists eliminate noise from the line.

You can google "cat 5 crimp" for more info. If it's not a garmin then consider this informational. :)

I went to Radio Shack and the had some very small phone wire connectors. I got them and it worked. after all the connections were made I put heat shrink on each one. I ten wraped them in electrical tape and then coated that with liqiud tape.

Thanks for the replies..

That's what I pm'd you about. Couldn't remember what they were called.

Attachments

• wire connectors.jpg
    wire connectors.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 155
TheOtherLine":2lcp85sm said:

I will look for them at Radio Shack.. I may have to take the wire apart agin to change the horns. ( I have the gps antenna mounted on them.)

TheOtherLine":3q7rjt1x said:

wire_connectors_750.jpg

That is what I'd use. They are used in the communications (telephone) industry. I don't remember what they are called either.

The newer GPS units have the actual GPS unit located inside the 'mushroom'. It's not just an antenna anymore like it was with the earlier units.
Those very fine gage wires are simply communication conduits these days.

Blue Seas also makes a 'euro style' connector block that can be used for NMEA connections, so you could use that one if you prefer.

They call them "Jelly Beans" or jelly crimps make sure you use the correct size. They make them that handle two or three wires. Generally the ones that hold three wires will hold two small and one larger wire. ONLY use the 3M brand, they are the best. In my opinion 3M connectors of all types are the best. You can get them at any electrical supply house or Lowes.

Latest posts

Back