Has anyone mounted a GOOD AUTOMATIC WINDLASS on a 2120?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 03 2120 and am getting ready to do so. I was going to go with the lewmar but I have read too many negative things about them, and nothing but positives about the "good". I was at the NY boat show yesterday and spoke to the guys from good in person. They have installed the rope/chain free drop on parker pilothouses. I do not have a pulpit and he showed me pictures of the install with just a "good" anchor roller installed and no pulpit and he says it works like a dream. It does not look bad without the pulpit plus you can leave the two bow cleats in place. You just have to change the navigation light. The chain/rope windlass is nicer so you dont have to have as much scope with the 10' of chain. plus its a free drop...what a dream!! And in reality that windlass is overkill for a 2120 but no big deal. The deck hatch will have to be removed and a piece of starboard is laid in place. The windlass attaches to that. Call TOM at Good and he can explain more to you and can prob send you pictures 609-698-4402. They seem like very knowledgeable guys. I think its just a few of them who run the entire company. I live on Long Island too....where are you at??

The installation worked so well, I decided to 'sanitize' it with a couple more coats of epoxy and some paint.
IMG_0178-.jpg

As mentioned in the other post, all hardware is thru bolted. The nuts on the hatch were countersunk as well, because they would not clear the hatch opening otherwise. The hinges in the deck have stout backing plates.

I had the installation completely apart for the re-do, and nothing showed any signs of stress.

If I were doing the installation using Star Board, I would sandwich a piece of stainless or aluminum between two pieces to get the same strength/clearance as my piece of wood allows.

I saw that pix in their book but I have a pulpit, Tom just sent me this but its on a 25', I believe it would have the same look.

Attachments

• tmpphptVIgPd.jpg
    tmpphptVIgPd.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,105
mrfunandson":png17jld said:
I saw that pix in their book but I have a pulpit, Tom just sent me this but its on a 25', I believe it would have the same look.

I would say that this setup works perfectly. This setup lets the rode fall in the center of the anchor locker.The way my Pro fish is installed, it is not centered over the center and I have to go under and sweep the line back about 1/2 way up in deeper water. I have a couple of friends who have the Good and they blow the Lewmar away.

Just my opinion but the Good Windlass looks like a tank, built well and probably outlast the Lewmar BUT that starboard plate looks cheesey.

Again, just my opinion. There has got to be a better way.

Back