HELP! recurring stain

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliboi21

Reaction score
Guys I'm lost. For the past couple of trips I've gotten this redish colored water stain that comes out from the side of my boat. I've removed all the panels on the foward bulkhead behind the helm, but can't find a source. What I do know is that it's not steering fluid and its not a rusty discolor, but more redish. I'm guessing its water that is getting in between the hull and topside, but can't figure out what is discoloring it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• rsz_img_0247[1].JPG
    rsz_img_0247[1].JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 361
I don't think there is leaves. Once the panels where removed I can see most of the floor and all the wire/cable/hose runs, but no sourse or visable foliage. I guess i'll have to remove the whole side panel was just hoping someone had seen this before on another Parker.

Looks like staining from pecan, oak or maple tree leaves. I get those type stains when maple leaves blow up under my anchor basket and sit

I get those on the deck too when I Tuna fish :lol: , seriously thats got me stumped seems a little dark for leaves, let us know what it is when you find it

That is an odd one. Never seen that on mine.
How easy is it to clean up? That might give a clue as to what it might be.

I had a 1992 scarab center console with a small storge cuddy in the bow. The door to the cuddy was fiberglass laminated wood. I got a worn spot in the fiberglass and the wood in the door would get saturated when it rained. The water would then leak out of the bottom of the door where some hardware was mounted and it left a reddish stain similar to what you are showing. I hope thats not your problem. The stain would clean up pretty easy with some spray nine

I just wanted to add some thoughts after thinking about it, it has been a few years. The door was not too thick, it was about the thickness of the leading edge in your photo right where the stain starts if you follow me. It could be as simple as a worn spot in the material where it meets the floor and the stain is coming from the exposed core material when it gets wet.

I could possibly be the speedo pitot tube leaking, It hasn't been working recently, but still doesn't answer why its red. The stain is water based(saltwater) not oily and cleans up very easily when its fresh, but after sitting for the night it takes softscrub or barkeepers friend to remove. I just did a trip last night and the stain only started to appeared after we blasted through a pretty big wake which brings me back to a possibility of water getting in from between the hull and topside and picking up the discoloration from either rotted wood or something else then leaving out at the lowest piont. Looks like I got a weekend project.

Here's a litlle more info '02 2510. Only owned the boat for 2 months, but first 10 or so trips no stain. Behind the side panel on the boat is void except for the wire/cable runs, then they come out of the panel you see in the pics and run under the gunnel. From the inside of the cabin bulkhead I can access the void and see most of the deck and visually can't see anything on the floor.

Might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I can see a very slight similar stain running down from that hardtop mounting flange. Check the mounting bolts there for sealer and tightness as that area is almost certainly cored.

gw204":1ioxyg30 said:
Might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I can see a very slight similar stain running down from that hardtop mounting flange. Check the mounting bolts there for sealer and tightness as that area is almost certainly cored.

Might also want to check the top in the area where those pipes connect.
If something was mounted to that top, and not sealed properly, you could have water making its way to the deck through those tubes.

Look here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10258&start=50

Prep photos and closeups of the wet wood are on page 2.

fliboi21":3v7uc7o7 said:
I could possibly be the speedo pitot tube leaking, It hasn't been working recently, but still doesn't answer why its red. The stain is water based(saltwater) not oily and cleans up very easily when its fresh, but after sitting for the night it takes softscrub or barkeepers friend to remove. I just did a trip last night and the stain only started to appeared after we blasted through a pretty big wake which brings me back to a possibility of water getting in from between the hull and topside and picking up the discoloration from either rotted wood or something else then leaving out at the lowest piont. Looks like I got a weekend project.
either that or you are holding water somewhere and its finding its way out when the bow is elevated high enough. Did the water come out immediatly after going over the wake. with it being that red I would think it has been sitting for a while.

Good ideas i'll check the hardtop and tubing. I'm starting to wonder if it was rotting wood if it would be this dark red color. It almost looks like blood are red food coloring. Do Parkers bleed?

Attachments

• rsz_img_0248.jpg
    rsz_img_0248.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 241
fliboi21":2fhy8yj6 said:
Good ideas i'll check the hardtop and tubing. I'm starting to wonder if it was rotting wood if it would be this dark red color. It almost looks like blood are red food coloring. Do Parkers bleed?

Yes, they do bleed. They bleed the tears of fallen fish. :D

My old 20 Grady would leach that color water from the fold down transom gate. It was wood cored.

Could be from wood, but I think salt water doesn't encourage rot and rotting wood stains would be darker?

Back