How much do you weigh on the highway?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been towing my boat past the MD and VA truck scale stations for some time, and my curiosity finally got the best of me.

I was towing the Diamond back from Hampton Roads on Tuesday, and slid into the station West of Williamsburg on I-64. First time on the scales, all I got was a green light. That is NOT what I wanted. So I drove around behind, stopped, and went in and talked with one of the officers. Told them, I don't know the actual numbers, and always guess on the towing permits. Stated I wanted to know the actual numbers. They told me to make another pass on the scale, keep the driver's window down, and they would call out the numbers through the loudspeaker.

So, the 2002 2510 MV WA with twin F-115s, and about 1/4 load of fuel on the trailer hooked to a 2003 Ford F-250 HD PSD crew cab long bed with cap, weighed a total of 17,200 lbs. The boat and trailer put down 7,400 lbs and the truck put down 9,800 lbs. Since I have about 900 lbs on the tongue of the trailer, that means the boat and trailer alone weigh about 8,300 lbs...not far off my guess.

So...what are your numbers?

Dave

aka

That's pretty interesting. I tow my 2520XLD with a similar vehicle (GMC 2500HD diesel crew). I would like to have my rig weighed accurately but I've always estimated that the boat, trailer, twin 150's, full tower, gear, 100 gal of fuel (1/2 tank) is probably around 10.5K. Randy.

Never had an opportunity to weigh mine Dave, but I always guestimated that she was close to 9500 the way she is rigged, and with 3/4 tank of fuel.

Porkchunker":1unj7gbd said:
Have been towing my boat past the MD and VA truck scale stations for some time, and my curiosity finally got the best of me.

Since I have about 900 lbs on the tongue of the trailer, that means the boat and trailer alone weigh about 8,300 lbs...not far off my guess.

So...what are your numbers?

Dave

aka

Dunno, but..anyone else been boating long enough to remember the days when you could *lift* the tongue of your trailer off the hitch ball or lift it up off the ground and put it on the hitch ball?

Either I was a hell of a lot stronger back then, or...the boats and trailers and tongue weight were a lot lighter.

Back