How "Swell" are your Parkers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnWired

Reaction score
Had an interesting discussion with another Parker owner. He's got a 2530. vs our 2520. He said he's been out in rough ocean before and we were trying to determine what "Rough" actually is in a Parker.

You see small craft advisories, which I heed, however, I am curious. What are the largest seas you have been in with your Parker? Any unusual stories? Swells, wind waves, what do these things handle? Do the boats generally handle more than their owners can take? Any unusual handling? Are they top or bottom heavy? We will be offshore crab fishing in our new boat in December and the seas in N. Cali can be tough.
sick.jpg

Its still just a 25 foot boat use your head, don't care how its made or what someone has told you. You can not make up for size in rough seas!

The 2320 loves a following sea. Any size will do. The best following sea boat I've ever been on. Does not like a head sea if the spacing is wrong. Mostly due to the helm being further forward than a CC. However, my 23DVCC loved a head sea.

PH's are STERN heavy even though by general appearance they look bow heavy. Like Megabyte (Kevin) has said in previous posts; driving a PH is learned skill that takes a little time master.

Read some of the posts here at CP and you will learn what others have done to "optimize" their 25s.

jim

Its still just a 25 foot boat use your head, don't care how its made or what someone has told you. You can not make up for size in rough seas!

Wow, didn't expect to get that. I've been boating for a while now and I don't care what type of a vessel you are piloting, each boat has it's own characteristics. Balsa wood floats good and a 25 foot piece of it probably does a great job at it. However, stability and wide beam makes a noticable difference.
Ok, whatever. Bad topic.
Jim, thanks for the follow up. The owner of the boat told me he has been out in the rough and said it was a little hairy, but he didn't get scared. 9 foot seas. Heard from another Parker owner that he had been out in 10-14 and took 3 hours to go 3 miles, but was never scared.

Hell, in our Aquasport, we were out in 6-8 and lost navigation, would have been worried except we had a buddy out there with us and I could spot him on Radar no problem and had good compass heading. Dense fog though. I appreciate the user friendly feedback.. HA!

I lived in SD for a few years. You guys tend to have those well spaced swells albeit large at times. The swells we get in the Gulf are usually very steep/unpredictable. More like a wash tub. I think if they were 6-8 and building I would probably have the EPIRB close by.

Don't get me wrong. Parkers are definitely over-built/seaworthy boats. Those CA waves sound awfully big to us Gulf coast guys. The water is just so shallow here compared to the Pacific.

FYI: CP is a friendly place (unless you are partial to certain Mercury products). Sometimes the written word can be more harsh than intended. You know that.

jim

I have to echo parker23's post but add that size is not as important as good seamanship. Know your boat, its limitations and your own comfort level. Add a sharp weather eye for good measure.

To keep this subject in perspective take a look at the first post here concerning the capsized 2120.

Sea conditions here in the Chesapeake are notorious for their close, steep chop. A 2 or 3 foot chop here, closely spaced, will rattle your teeth depend on the vessel and the skill of the pilot. Converging currents of the main stem of the Bay and it's many tributaries can make some areas (such as the mouths of the Magothy, Severn, and South Rivers) a washing machine with waves coming at you from more than one direction.

I have gone out on a few SCW days (fishing tournaments or needed service appointments), and I've gotten caught out in building seas on many other days. My 2520 MVSC has never made me feel uneasy about the vessel or its capabilities. It's probably one reason Parkers are prized by people who fish this Bay and it's tributaries.

The one thing I suggest to any owner of a MV Parker is not to 'overdrive' the boat in a Chessie chop. Trim the boat using motor, speed, and tabs and enjoy the comfort of the pilothouse while the CC guys take a bath in saltwater.

I was out on a friends non-Parker CC yesterday in wind and building seas, and we were both drenched to the skin by the end of the day.
I had offered my boat before we left, but he wanted to run his. Halfway through the day, he admitted he wished he'd taken me up on my offer. :)

I did not mean to come off harsh, i just do not want to see someone get hurt thinking that they can go out in wether or seas that they should not be in. And yes good seaman ship accounts for alot. Be safe and good luck!

I have had my share of poor sea conditions mostly due to the fact that we fish over 70 miles offshore so weather can change pretty drastically in a short time. During the summer months we often have high grade low pressure systems that churn up in the afternoon. They tend to make things pretty snotty. I would have to agree that no matter what, more boat under your feet means more security. On that note I would like to say this....I have been out in the 2520XLD and have encountered a micro burst about 40 miles off the coast of Georgia. Thanks to Sat weather and nav i was able to at least try and stay on the outskirts of the burst. We encountered 8-10 in very quick sets from nearly every direction over a 30 minute period. Wind ran from a steady 25-30 with gusts up to 50. I surround myself with safety equipment so i usually don't worry too much if i get stuck. the only thing that kind of got us was the cabin door slamming shut and an immediate draw down of pressure. :shock: Nearly took our breath away. Steady 10 knots into the sea and changed that as the sea changed. Sure lots of water over the bow, but i can honestly say that we felt as safe as we could feel. Would i have preferred to be there? Nope, but since i was, i was happy that my 25 foot was a PARKER!!! :p

Hi Chrisn and all,
Good information there. Yes, this is exactly why I asked the question in the first place. We find ourselves out about 65-70NM fishing for Tuna on the pacific coast and the weather has turned on us a little bit. In fact, the wife and I were out 39NM last year and the ocean went from calm/flat to completely boiling and we headed for shore. The Aquasport we were in hit a dip as the wind waves were coming up to about 6-8 (later found out on the forecast that it had radically changed) and the bow plowed into the seas, creating a wave that broke completely over the boat and hit the engine in the back. Needless to say, we weren't inside of a cabin and it was starting to get a little wet. Luckily the Aquasport drained well and we had a safe trip back in.
In this case, a pilot house and the larger beam are going to make all the difference on the parker. Also, the more stable platform (being that the 2520 is almost 18" wider than our current boat).
Parker23, no offense taken. I totally understand safety. I have been out in the ocean in an 8 foot kayak in the dead calm and a 1/4 mile long cruise ship during the middle of a massive storm and everything in between and know that there is no substitute for length and power when you get in the nasty stuff. Knowledge is key. However, I've seen CC boats taking on massive water because of the open design and when they are heading for shore, the Farallons, Parkers and Davis Explorers are heading out fishing. So, there is a huge difference in boat design. Knowing when to quit and having a good reliable boat and equipment is beneficial though.
I did read that post on the 2120 and feel sorry for the captain and his crew. Our hearts go out to their family. Sometimes things are completely out of your control. The Eureka channel here is famous for planting boats and even small ships against the rocks and known as one of the toughest inlets in California.

My 2120 did very well in big seas. Never had a problem. Sure, there were days I got beat up a bit but never felt nervous. I fished a lot out of Salisbury (Jefferies Ledge), and Boothbay Maine.

The swell that capsized my boat was kind of strange. It just came straight up out of a very flat sea and towered over the boat, and rolled. It happens around ledges, and shallows. I got myself in a bad spot, and that's what I have trouble dealing with. I shouldn't have been there.

I think I'll be waiting a year to purchase another boat. Looks like I'm siding my house. Yeah you can say it, I'm a bit gun shy, but far from giving up boating. Just need a bit of a breather I think. I'll keep my eyes open though, and if the right deal comes up........I'll be back on the briny.

Five footers, twelve footers, closed spaced, rollers ???????

I don't know. Everyone's perception is different. All I know is...we headed out to fish a tourney (23CCDV) when a 28 Make w/twins cancelled, and; we have fished when waves obscured cc's w/T-Tops fishing 50 yards away.

Never felt threatened. :wink:

It is rare that I've been scared in my 2510. I've been in HUGE rollers and watched the towers of stick boats disapear.

However, I was out (not too far) about 4-5 weeks ago the forecast was NW 10-15 increasing to NW 20 in the afternoon. At about 8:30 am somebody turned on the fan.... The wind jumped up to NNW 35-40Kts.

I had waves that were 90 degrees and passing over the bow with ease. The green water was slamming my glass (I thought it was going to break)
If I had not been able to keep the bow into the sea, I'm pretty sure I would have rolled over. We were making about 3.5 knots in the worst of it. I will be happy not to do that again. The estimated wave size was probably 8-10'. It wasn't som uch the size it was the frequency and the steepness.

Back