How would you hold down a 15-gallon rectangular water tank?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
How would you hold down a 15-gallon rectangular water tank?

Installing a water tank in the Horndog, and just wanted to ask if anyone had any tips that I may be overlooking. Seems pretty straightforward. Block the bottom and use a nylon strap over the top to hold it in place, (like my batteries). A friend told me if I supported the sides it would stop the flexing and the tank would last a lot longer. Does that sound right or would I just be adding extra weight for no good reason? Also do I need a vent? Seems like as small as the tank is, it would just be a place to leak water that I can’t see.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

I built a poly board cradle for mine that I mounted in the forward fishbox of my 23 Regulator over 8 years ago. Flexing will shorten the life. I built it for a tight fit and then glassed in small blocks in the floor of the fishbox to add Perko's Hold down Brackets that are used on many microwave ovens in cabin boats. It holds the frame down fine even in a pounding sea and my 13 gallon tank still looks like the day I installed it.

Back in '01 I made a 9 gallon water tank out of epoxy coated plywood. It's built so it's 'wedged' in the cockpit coaming so there's no side to side motion possible. It's not locked down, but has never moved and is in use to this day. You may not need a vent for filling but if the system is 'closed' you'll pull a vacuum that will eventually prohibit pumping.

We held an air conditioner window unit on the cockpit sole with only chocks and a bungie.

The concern with my type of installation is a roll or pitch pole that would upset the center of gravity...we've never had movenent even under the most enthusiastic sea conditions.

I have a 15-gallon f/w tank that sits in the co-pilot seat as shown below. It is blocked on the back and then both ends. It is secured by a thick heavy all-synthetic bungee covered with hose. Has never moved and no leaks.

Galley2-M.jpg

here's my install. second system i have installed on two separate Parker boats. i just cut up some scrap starboard into four 90 degree corner pieces. also added a couple of straight pieces along the sides. rough the corners of the tank and 90s. screw down the 90s and straights, then generously apply some slow cure 5200, then set tank in place with some weight on it. yes, you do need a vent hooked via hose....if you don't, it will severely limit the water pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 302
  • img_0414_193.jpg
    img_0414_193.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 302
  • img_0619_148.jpg
    img_0619_148.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 302
Guys, thanks so much for the info. You’re right, I forgot about the vent while pumping from the tank.

I think I will use plywood to support the tank on 4 sides a little more then half way up. That will also make it easy to attach a nylon strap across the top to hold it secure.

Grouperjim, your set-up is almost exactly what I’m going to do all the way down to where the fill inlet is. I am currently making a new bench seat/cabinet that will also be another bunk. In the cabinet will contain drawers, tackle storage and a microwave. I will have room behind for the water tank, pump and a little extra storage. I have not decided how I want the outlet to be yet. I want the ability to shower like yours, but I also want to have fresh water down low to rinse lures and tackle with.

I can’t believe how great this site is. Without even knowing each other most of the time, you’re willing to take the time to reply and with pictures to boot. Dale you should be proud of how you operate this website. Thanks again for sharing everyone.

TopShot25":3vant6qu said:
I can’t believe how great this site is. Without even knowing each other most of the time, you’re willing to take the time to reply and with pictures to boot. Dale you should be proud of how you operate this website. Thanks again for sharing everyone.
Ahhhhh, CP is running as I envisioned many years ago. It is I who must thank YOU and EVERYONE here for being cordial, respectful, and open to the friendly way we conduct 'business' here. We just clocked over 1400 members and to date, I regretfully have only had to delete 2 users. And that was due soley to the way they mis-treated others and their opinions. Sadly, both had much experience to offer ...

Back