Huge bug off Long Beach Ca.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuellevellow

Reaction score
On Tuesday night me my buddy Cory and my girl Kelly went to get some bugs off the wall. We arrived at the LB break wall just on the other side of Nachos around 8PM and started setting traps. There was about five other boats hooping that night and two divers. The weather was warm and the sea was dead calm but It was a slow night as we pulled the first dozen pots. Lots of spiders and starfish mixed with some sculpin. Around 10PM we moved about a mile down the wall and set up a single net with salmon heads. About 25 minutes later we pull the net and behold Bugzilla. We could not believe our eyes as the monster bug hit the deck it was so big it did not fit all the way in the hoop net. We pulled another dozen and called it around 11:30.
We arrived home around midnight and I cleaned the boat and left the monster bug in the boat tank for the night. I expected to have the bug for dinner but after talking to Behdad at PE I decided I would get the bug weighed. So I brought the bug to the HH fuel dock and met Scott with the IGFA scale and it came out at 18 pounds. I called DFG and talked to Glen Underwood (Great Guy) and he told me that this is the biggest bug on record but due to the method of catch it was disqualified.
So I called the Aquarium of the Pacific and spoke to a Biologist and she was very happy to take the bug to attempt to put it on display for all to see. So I took the bug still in the bait tank to the marina just outside the aquarium and was met by several biologists who took the bug away like a team of emergency room doctors on a mission to save a life.

Attachments

• Picture%20546.jpg
    Picture%20546.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture%20566.jpg
    Picture%20566.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture%20569.jpg
    Picture%20569.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture%20573.jpg
    Picture%20573.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture%20578.jpg
    Picture%20578.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 216
Wow, Nice Catch! :lol: :lol:

Congrats on deciding NOT to eat that Gorilla. Was it a male or female? Do your state regulations have a provision for preserving the breeding stock by marking large breeders?

Wow!! :shock: That thing is a monster!

Congratulations on donating it to the Aquarium.
That should be a big hit with the kids. :wink:

Back