I Bought a Mac!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanc2

Reaction score
Windows convert that stepped up to a new MacBook pro. Gotten great advice here on my Parker, so I'm hoping the mac users can help ease my conversion from Windows.

I went mac about 12 months ago, and don't think i'll ever go back.

2 days into owning my laptop, I picked it up with my thumb on the mouse pad (glass) and the rest of my fingers beneath......crack!

I went to the Apple store fully expecting to have them take it, ship it somewhere, repair it, and charge me for parts, labor and shipping. Instead, they handed me a new computer!
That sealed the deal for me....that kind of customer care is rare these days, especially from a major corporation.
In a week you will navigating it with ease, and in three months Windows will present a challenge! Amazing how quickly the mind disposes of information no longer deemed relevant!

I have been driving a Mac since 1985. If you have any questions, just ask. :wink:

Mac guy since 1986 (I was 3).
I use PCs at work, and an IBM laptop at home, but my main machine is my Mini.

Megabyte":aax46dip said:
I have been driving a Mac since 1985. If you have any questions, just ask. :wink:

I didn't even know what a computer was back then. I was in the 4th grade!!! :wink:

OK, so what's the scoop on parallels. I want to suck a windows image off my work laptop and load on the mac. Do I load transporter on the windows machine to create the image and then transfer the image to the mac?

Oh yeah, 7+ hour battery life - this thing is crazy!

Really liking safari 4.0 and paged history/bookmarks.

ryanc2":2gkm7wdd said:
I want to suck a windows image off my work laptop and load on the mac. Do I load transporter on the windows machine to create the image and then transfer the image to the mac?

No need to go to all that trouble, as a jpg looks the same to either OS.
Simply email the image from the windows machine to yourself at home.
After you receive the image at home, do with it what you will.

Download a copy of GraphicConverter and life will get even easier.

Megabyte":3mrhg88m said:
ryanc2":3mrhg88m said:
I want to suck a windows image off my work laptop and load on the mac. Do I load transporter on the windows machine to create the image and then transfer the image to the mac?

Sorry Kevin, I wasn't specific enough in my question. I want to run parallels on my mac so I can have Windows running as a VM on my mac.

Looks pretty straight forward if I was starting from scratch with a Windows install, but I want to start with an image of
my work machine so I can ditch my IBM brick and carry this. I was thinking I saw a post where you said you were running parallels.

My first Mac was a 512k. Had to load the system into RAM and then work off a floppy for the program/file. I've only had five different machines in all those years. Never, ever had a hardware issue. Never have any system crashes anymore either. Never understood Windows very well but it seems there is less difference between the platforms as time goes by.

I used to feel like Macs were superior in some way - Now I realize they are just two routes to the same destination. I just take the road less traveled I guess. Personal preference, similar to notch vs. full transom!

Some folks take to the switch (PC to Mac) easily and others have a hard time of adjustment. Haven't met anyone that switched back ... yet. I know several folks that work in both worlds. My Admiral is one; She has Parallels and uses it all the time. At some point there will be a better, third party alternative. I just hope their hardware will be as robust as Apple's.

ryanc2":3p9jg1lq said:
Megabyte":3p9jg1lq said:
ryanc2":3p9jg1lq said:

Sorry Kevin, I wasn't specific enough in my question. I want to run parallels on my mac so I can have Windows running as a VM on my mac.

Looks pretty straight forward if I was starting from scratch with a Windows install, but I want to start with an image of
my work machine so I can ditch my IBM brick and carry this. I was thinking I saw a post where you said you were running parallels.

Funny you should ask. I was researching this same issue.

The answer is: Buy a software program called Fusion. It does exactly what you are describing. Use the toggle key to switch from PC mode to Mac Mode. $79 at best buy.

I work computer/network security for an "un-named agency" and I tell all my friends to get a Mac.

#1 son went to college with a Dell loaded with Vista and I'm rebuilding it for the second time because of trojan/virus infestation. This time he is getting a load of Linux.

#2 son went to college with a Mac and I haven't had to touch the machine in over a year. He is running VMWare on the Mac OS and running Windows XP inside the VMWare virtual machine. Works slick. He has the best of both worlds...he is on the Mac OS for 95% of all his homework and personal use, and uses XP only when a professor gives a requirement that absolutely needs a Windoze application.

Dave

aka

Haven't had as much time to play with it as I like, but I've got parallels working with a Windows VM from my work machine. The only real things I need is sharepoint integration and some development tools that only work in Windows. Haven't made the switch to Exchange setup on Mac - might be next. Gotta go fishing the next 2 weekends thought. :p

Other than work stuff - other windows home pc is going out the door. The only thing there I can't get converted is my Garmin mapsource. Anybody found a way to transfer waypoints/tracks to Garmin from their MAC? I see Garmin has tools for about anything other than bluechart. :roll:

We are running 3 XP notebooks and one with Vista. The oldest one is in the college and the second kid is in high school. No problems to date. We use free AVG, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Adware. I like XP and can troubleshoot most issues. We use Firefox and Google Docs with gears instead of buying the latest greatest hyper cant live without it Office but all of us have Office 2003 which was either was free or heavily discounted. I just gave my niece my iBook b/c she is working full time and going to college in the evenings, on Sats and days off. She receives assistance from her mother but none from her dad. As it turns out, she loves it and prefers it to Windows and has older copies of Mac Office, Creative Suites and File Maker Pro just no MAC until now. Now just a laser printer. I build most desktops and just made a quad core box with a fast 10K HD and video card, and 4 G of RAMS running XP. It is so quiet and the best part is the 22'' LCD monitor. Lots of room for multiple open windows.
It seems like monthly the storage capacity of USB thumb drives increases.
I remember paying $50 for a 16Mb not G drive and it still works today.
Another drive has U3 on it so you can install and run a slew of applications from it but they are easily lost, forgotten or stolen. I attended a meeting in May and one company was giving 1G drive with their catalog and other related printed items instead of hardcopies. That is being green to me. If anyone has older copy of FileMaker Pro for WIN or developer version, please pm if you wish to donate to a 501c3 nonprofit group. They are using ver 4 now

I've been locked out of Mapsource for years now. GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!

Plenty of friends around with PC's to do the dumps with the Garmin. Would be nice not to have to go to anyone else. It's the only thing I've ever needed that Macs won't do. Haven't tried with the new Intel chips though.

Back