I smell gas......

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalsin

Reaction score
......when I remove the inspection hatch in the floor of my boat. It's 22 years old so I'm thinking that I'm dealing with a gas take failure. My first step is going to be replacing all of my fuel lines so that I can rule that out for good, but while I'm at it I'd like to have the take pressure tested to confirm that this is/isn't my problem.

Any suggestions on how I might do the pressure test myself?

If the tank is in fact the problem, how easy is it gonna be to replace it? I am pretty handy with glass/gelcoat work, but what about foaming it back in, fixing it to the boat, etc.?

Anyone out ther with tanks replacement experience that can tell me what I'm getting into???

Originalsin,

I think if you do a search on here there were a couple of others with the same issue/question. I would also recommend that you get in touch with Parker engineering directly and be sure to have your HIN handy. They should be able to provide you with instuctions on how and where to cut your deck in releationship to the stringers for your boat. Good luck and post any info.

originalsin":3ho6h7wb said:
My first step is going to be replacing all of my fuel lines so that I can rule that out for good ...
Good idea - do that FIRST! FWIW my bro just went through this on his '87 Grady and it was indeed the fuel fill hose.

Even though your boat is 22 years old, the hose "could be" older stock that may not be SAE alcohol rated ... if you're running E10 ethanol fuel, that could be it ...

We address the pressure test and other once you know where you stand.

DaleH":3hcnabin said:
originalsin":3hcnabin said:
My first step is going to be replacing all of my fuel lines so that I can rule that out for good ...
Good idea - do that FIRST! FWIW my bro just went through this on his '87 Grady and it was indeed the fuel fill hose.

Even though your boat is 22 years old, the hose "could be" older stock that may not be SAE alcohol rated ... if you're running E10 ethanol fuel, that could be it ...

We address the pressure test and other once you know where you stand.

I hope you are right. I was already planning to replace the T-top this spring and adding the gas tank into the project budget was gonna double it. As far as putting off the pressure test goes, I'm not sure that is such a good idea. I'm gonna already have the fuel lines off and if I could build an apparatus to test the tank while I'm at it I would like to have that piece of mind in knowing where I stand.

originalsin":i5pr26h7 said:
As far as putting off the pressure test goes, I'm not sure that is such a good idea.
Good thinking ... why go through the labor for something you might need to tear apart? My brother believed his was due to E10 and he lucked out. A good aluminum tank can last a looooooong time.

I know fuel tank testing is very low pressure, like 3-4 PSI held overnight. I used to have the test script written somewhere, but can't find it, maybe it was on the older PC that got trashed.

David Pascoe, a marine surveyor, has many gasoline fuel tank articles over on www.yachtsurvey.com .

Good luck!

DaleH":2ejz903j said:
originalsin":2ejz903j said:
As far as putting off the pressure test goes, I'm not sure that is such a good idea.
...David Pascoe, a marine surveyor, has many gasoline fuel tank articles over on www.yachtsurvey.com .

Good luck!

If you have to replace the tank, don't foam it in. Follow David Pascoe's guidance on how to install a tank.

fyi

I spoke with Parker's engineer today about my problem and after describing my issue and symptoms, he is thinking leaky hose or sending unit. He seems to think that if it were a leaky tank that there would almost certainly be gas in the bilge, not just fumes like I'm getting now. Let's hope so.

As far as the pressure testing goes, he told me that it would be ok to test the tank with an apparatus I built myself, say a combination of brass fittings, hose clamps, fuel line grade tubing, and a pressure gauge. He said that if I could close off all but one opening, say the vent opening, and hook this device to this opening and pressurize it with a compressor, SLOWLY, to a pressure to 3 psi and have it hold for ten minutes, I could rest assured that the tank was good. Another note, he said that it would be ok to do this with a small amount of gas in the tank provided precautions were taken to prevent and accidental ignition.

Soooooooooooo.....
I guess its off to the T-top guy for now to have him remove the existing structure and measure for the new one. I'll do all of my tank testing and line replacing while the top is being built.

Pics to follow, as well as an update regarding the tank...........

The sending unit leaked. i installed a new gasket and voila - no more smell. Mine is an 89'.

Good luck.

Jon

i have a 1990 2520, i to had the smell of gas and i also had a rotted floor. So i tore out the complete floor to see the stringers sitting on the gas tank had pitted the tank. i found several small holes and one i could stick a pencil in. I hope your problem isn't as big as mine. good luck :)

Welcome aboard ClassicParker ... PW II.

Do you have any photos of the floor or gas tank that you could share with us? Might give us some sense of the magnitude of the project you were dealing with. How did you replace the floor and stringers? What did you use for materials to repair? We'd all love to see the project. !!

Thanks.

Back