I want a Parker - is the 1801 for me?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcv

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is a great forum you have here. I am looking to get a new boat and I'm having a very difficult time deciding which boat to get. Here's my dilemma: although I really want a boat that is ideal for saltwater fishing - in the rivers and out front - I can't get to the ocean as often as I'd like. I have young children and we have a camp in Northern NH where we go most every weekend from May to October. When we're up there I mostly go to 2 small lakes, both just over 300 acres. We occasionally hit a very large lake. The only time I have to get out to the salt is during the work week... sometimes I might get there once a week, sometimes a few weeks go by without being able to.

So.... I think the best thing for me would be to get a boat that will do a good job for Bass fishing the small lakes but will get me out after stripers and blues as well. I thought I would have this with my current boat (Key West 1520) but I won't take my young son out in the ocean in my rig :wink:

I love the Parker 1801 and I'm wondering how it will work as a freshwater bass rig? Has anyone installed a bow mounted trolling motor on theirs?

I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me on this. I love Parker boats - my dream boat is a 2120 sport cabin - and I just might get to own one if it will do the job!

Thanks in advance

jcv,

I own a '98 1800 that I use in both salt and sweet water. It has a bow mounted saltwater trolling motor. It is a great fishing platform in either place. My kids love to bass fish, and use it constantly over their cousin's bass boat. There is more room, more seating area, and more fun as a group.

The biggest issue with lakes is the boat ramp, is it good enough to launch from? I am able to launch from some pretty tough ramps with mine.

My schedule is as unpredictable as yours. It makes it very hard to find someone who can assist me, so I fish alone most of the time. I have no trouble launching or pulling out the 1800 by myself.

For me, it is the perfect boat.

I guess it would depend on the kids, how old they are and where their interests lie. If you can keep them fishing most of the time, the Parker will probably work fine.

If they are going to want to start tubing/wakeboarding/waterskiing, etc.. and spending time on the water cruising and lounging around, you might not find the boat too comfortable. There are several manufacturers that make nice dual-consoles that might serve you better.. Something like the Hydra-Sport 20' or the Sea Hunt versions.

Hydra 202DC:
003890.jpg

Sea-Hunt 186:
E186_04.jpg

Just my impression.. I boat in the salt 99.99% of the time, other than a week on a FW lake each summer.. Watching all the boats go by you start to notice that they are designed for different purposes, and for good reason.

-- Tom

Just got rid of an 1801, great boat, you can launch it alone. I had a roller trailer with guide posts. When launching I would back down ramp, get out, unhook boat & push it off the trailer. (use a rope on bow :D ) When pulling out I would drive right up to the stop on the trailer, leave boat in gear, reach over the bow & hook up safety chain. Shut down engine, get out of boat hook up winch & crank up tight. pull out. Do the same with my 23' (if I don't have help). Good luck. PS, Don't run up the trailer at full throttle, you will make the news! & amuse many people at the ramp.

Thank you for the replies.

I have considered a dual console boat, a Seaswirl Striper 1851 specifically. The boat will be used for fishing 90% of the time and I think I'd really be happier with a center console boat.

In addition to the Parker, I've also been interested in the Wellcraft 180 Fisherman. It's a very deep, roomy boat with a full transom and I haven't ruled it out but there's just something about Parker boats - I just love them.

I currently own an 1801 CC with F115 and love it.
I fish mostly the Chesapeake Bay. It works great there anytime the wind is
less that about 12kts. Above that it become very wet --but still fishable.
Have also fished it out Harkers Island in the ocean with no problem.

I previously owned a Stratos Bass Boat. For fresh water bass fishing I think I would prefer it over my Parker. It's low to the water, easily rigged for Bass fishing , Lots and lots of storage for rods, tackle boxes ,easy to launch and recover , sits low on the trailer so it very easy to trailer long distances, etc. BUT---there is now way I would take that boat places I take my Parker and still feel safe.

I appreciate your delima. Its hard to find boat that fill all niches well.

I have an '07 1801. I too was looking for a multipurpose platform; inshore, bay, close offshore, fly-fishing, light tackle, waterskiing, tubing, all while not breaking the bank. In my own opinion, you can't go wrong.

Back