If ordering a new 23 SE, what motor option? 150, 200, or 225

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danattherock

Reaction score
I am looking pretty hard at a new 23' SE if I can get the beans counted right. There is a big difference in the motors price of course. Looks like the 200 is about $5000 more than the 150. Looks like the 225 will be about $1700 on top of that. What motor would you suggest? I plan on fishing inshore, flyfishing the waterway, Harkers island for a few trips in the fall, etc.. a good bit of the time. Likely will fish nearshore a bunch too. On good days, will fish 10-20 miles out at some AR's I hear about in my area (Southport,NC). Do I "need" a bigger motor or will the 150 be enough? Any logical reason for getting a 200 or 225 aside from top speed? Pros/cons either way? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

-Dan

I would order with the 150. From performance reports the 150 looks to be pleanty, it is less expensive, better fuel mileage, and it probably gives the boat a better balance allowing to run naturally more level maximizing the wetted surface area. The se isnt a race boat. just my opinion. Most like to maximize the HP.

it is ashame that yam doesnt make a higher hp 4 cylinder or that you cant hang a 175 zuke off of her.

We have a pair of 21SE rescue boats where I work.
One has a 150 Yamaha on it, the other has a 225 Merc.
You would think that the 225 would be a speed demon, but it is only 3 kts faster than the 150.
Go figure.

As Greg said, the SE wasn't designed to be a race boat, so simply bolting on horsepower doesn't instantly translate to speed and performance.

That said, I know of a guide here who has a 150 on his 23SE and I have never heard him complain once that the 150 was too small.
Owners seem to be split between the 150 and the 200, though the $5000 premium for the 200 would make me pause too.

I'll be interested to hear what owners of this model have to say about the two motors.

I have a 2001 23SE with a Yammy 200 HPDI and to me it’s the perfect horsepower. I really don’t see a need to go higher. Hanging a 150 sounds pretty small to me, but I’d like to hear from someone who has experience with that setup rather than go by my guess.

Gary

I have a 07 23SE with Yamaha 200 4Stroke. This boat has never been an issue with regards to power. I am not one that runs flat out, or feels the need to walk by every other boat on the water. The boat serves our family in different capacity, from water sports to 30 miles off. Equipped with the fiberglass t-top I can get 40mph out of her. Never have trouble running in a medium chop or crossing like wake. It is a very stable boat. It may be because I am coming from a much lighter center console in the bow that forced me to come off the throttle when crossing even smaller wake. The 23SE with the 200, seems to be the perfect set up for what I need. It is all about what you intend for the boat to accomplish.

My 23 SE handles really well with the 200 hp fourstroke Yamaha. There is plenty of power when I need it. 5 people onboard with coolers and gear, no problem. Fuel economy is great. I have no need to go larger in horsepower with this boat.

C.Blizzard
Eden, Md.

Throw the 150 on it unless you plan on running heavy loads which it does not sound like you are going to. not that the 200 or 225 are bad motors but heavier cost more and i have never heard anything bad about the 150. I used to have 2 225s and they were great too but for 7k difference. Im assuming the one with the 150 is sitting on there lot?

I will be making a custom order so any motor will work. Just takes money. Ha ha... I got a quote just a few minutes ago on the below boat for $45k out the door. Mostly a bare bones boat, trying to see if I can afford the boat at all. Figured I will add a custom T-top later, electronics, etc.. over time. Wanted to know if you fellas think I can do better than 45k. I have no idea. If the dealer is asking $45k, any chance of getting the boat for say $40k? $42K? Not sure what (if) the wiggle room is.

2011 Parker 23' SE
Yamaha 200 hp
pedestal seats (no leaning post)
coaming pads
raw water washdown
single axle trailer ($3,600)
No T-top
No electronics
tax/title/etc..

Dan,

I’m a used boat/car kind of guy, so I can’t help with the price issue, but I do have a few concerns, especially since you say this is right at, or just above, your budget.

• You should know that BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. There are always more things you want to buy – fishing gear, fuel, electronics, maintenance, polish and polisher, etc. And they add up quick
• You must add a VHF for safety, you need a good bottom finder for fishing (and not hitting bottom) and you will love a GPS sooner than later.
• I would not trailer a 23 footer from Rockingham to Southport to Harkers Island on a single axle trailer.

Personally, I’d buy used, but that’s just me. Your finances are your business, but be aware there’s always more money to spend when you own a boat.

Gary

for 40 or 45 you can get a 1 or 2 year old 23 ph with a 250 and electronics on a tandem trailer. But if i were you and he is the closest dealer i would work out the best deal possible with him and do it that way so when there is an issue hell take care of it instead of pushing you to the side because you saved 2k from a dealer 500 miles away.

Curious about that price increase for the 200hp. I wonder if that price IS for one of the new 4S offshore/SHOs? That seems like a rather hefty increase otherwise. If that is the case I expect the difference to decrease as the newness wear off in the next year or so and the demand subsides a bit. Hot off the line they are probably selling them as fast as they can turn them out.

Are those new motors fly-by-wire?
If they are, that could account for the difference in cost.

That could be it.

I just realized they do not make a 200hp Offshore model and I doubt there is a 25" SHO 200hp since those are really bass boat motors.

Dan,

Have you considered a 21SE,there is a nice one in Jacksonville area 2006 w/150 HP Yam for $23,500,that is half and its original owner,has some electronics.

Also you did not list as getting on your quote which is standard on 23SE is lenco tabs,make sure they are there and better yet see if it has auto retract.

There is a 2010 23SE in ST. Pete,FL. dealer for 46K,maybe they are willing to deal.

Robert

The boat comes with a tandem trailer, I was mistaken. However, I am loosing interest in the boat since just receiving an email from the dealer who saw my post here and was not pleased. I would have thought not telling anyone where I got the quote would be good enough. Especially with all the one click online quote portals, I could have gotten a quote from anywhere in the country. Guess I was wrong. For anyone that cares, it was not a local dealer. Buying a boat is a pain in the ass. It shouldn't be so hard to give someone $40,000. Especially with the economy being like it is and the used boat market being inundated with folks trying to give boats away. I might end up with a 14' john boat and a 40 hp hand tiller. Flyfishing in the mountains is looking good about now as well. A $15k drift boat and $25k for beer money? Ha ha... Thanks for the input here fellas. I appreciate it. Perhaps I am just naive. I will follow up on your other suggestions and thank you for mentioning them.

-Dan

Dan,

I do not see why the dealer should get upset,you have every right to ask,look around,discuss with whomever you want the price of boat quote,do not loose hope,there are many good used boats out there at decent prices,did you do a search on boat trader ?? there are still 2010 out there.

Hope all goes well.

Robert

Back