Installing 12 volt power port / receptacle

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
I just bought a Marinco cigarette lighter socket. I want to use it to run my Optronics "Blue Eye" spotlight. It's not a mega power light, it's only 400,000 candelas. I'm sure it still draws a considerable amount of juice.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend? Running the wiring directly to the battery switch, or just wire it to the OEM panels behind the dash? Any tips from someone who has done this before? Thanks!

Dom 8)

BTW, this is the unit I bought.

12VRC-CMYK-99.jpg

SHORT Answer - it depends ...

What I mean is ... does your existing wiring back there have enough extra spare juice available to run your handheld spotlight?

MEDIUM Answer - I bet that light draws 8 amps max, so figure 15 MAX amps for worst-case draw due to peak amps at start-up, plus to leave some 'overhead'. Therefore if your existing run can handle an additional 15 amps - go for it.

LONG Answer - OK, here goes ... but remember - you asked for it!

1) You need to know and identify ALL circuits on the helm panel and then simply add up the amperage of all those items. If, like the spotlight, you only know the wattage of the bulb, then divide the wattage by 12.6 volts (typical full charge battery rating) and the result gives you the amp draw or load. Example, I bet that light uses a ~100 watt bulb, so dividing by 12.6 volts gives you an 8 amp load.

2) Once you know the total amp load on your circuits, determine HOW MANY are “on” for a true worst-case scenario. Meaning, you won’t likely throw on ALL switches at the same time, but figure in your worst case and make sure you add for “intermittent use items” like bilge or spotlight use, livewell, and/or trim tab cycling (20 amps).

FYI - an OB starter draws ~235 amps at peak when starting; while this load is NOT on your house circuits, nor should it be, it is to the battery. This is 'why?" some items can shut-off when you restart your motor (which also means there is TOO much resistance in the existing wiring wire [i.e., terminals or wire is corroded or corroding] or the wire is sized too small.

3) Check your worst-case loads (always good to have sufficient overhead) to the wire ampacity capacity given the TOTAL LENGTH of the existing circuit run - see #4 as it is CRITICAL to this calculation.

4) NOTE: You'll have to know the TOTAL round-trip distance from the load to the battery or power source to adequately determine the amp draw and capacity for the wire rating.

Shoot for no more than a 3% voltage drop for critical items (nav lights, radar, radios, etc.,) and no more than a 10% voltage drop for non-critical items (livewell pump, house lights, am/fm radio, etc.).

5) Use this wire size calculator click here[/b], to determine the proper gauge of wire for any load or combination of loads you need.

6) See this post here[/b] for sample wiring diagrams that TomS and I made up for our boats using Visio or similar drawing program. TomS kindly provided me with his sample to modify. He is a wiz with software and that's why he's our resident IT/IS and graphics guro on CP. Thanks Tom!

7) Fuses and breakers are installed to protect your device per se ... they are there to PREVENT your boat's wiring from burning your boat to the waterline IF it should ever be over-loaded :shock: ! That is why you NEVER insert a replacement fuse/breaker rated higher than demanded for the item and the total ampacityrating of the wire.

FYI - Boat wiring is ‘simple’ once the basics are understood. I have started a “Boat Wiring Tutorial 101” article on How To DIY Rewire your boat when/if/as needed … but it is not complete and is in DRAFT form. Someday I would like to post it on Classic Parker. That said, if anyone wants to use – PM me, provided you understand and acknowledge 2 things: (1) You use it at YOUR lone risk and do not hold me or CP liable for any personal or equipment damages and (2) you provide feedback in case or errors or omissions.

CP members may PM me for any wiring question/comment, or continue to add to this post here.

Wow Dale! You fingers must be hurting from all that typing! Thanks for the thorough response! :D

I'm thinking it might just be safer to run a new wire straight to the battery. I do like to run a lot of gadgets at once. Livewell is usually 99% of the time running, nav lights, spotlight on/off, CD player, trim tabs, etc.

I would wire this to the battery switch, right? I've never seen what they look like under the cover. :?:

Dom

Dom:

96TL":2v2hx6tk said:
Wow ... your fingers must be hurting from all that typing!
Not actually, most of it was 'cut & paste' from where I've answered similar questions before on another fishing/boating board where I monitor the Boat Forum. It was what started my article effort ... and actually I thought of CP as an ideal place to handle some of the DIY articles and tips I've accumulated over the years.

I would wire this to the battery switch, right? I've never seen what they look like under the cover. :?:
Yup. You'll want to connect it to the COMMON terminal on the back of the switch so that circuit is 'on' regardless of which battery is selected. It must be fused/breakered with 8 to 12" inches of that terminal. I bet it will be up to a 25' run each way. I'd use 2-wire (pos/neg) sheathed wire in size #10 AWG which will handle:

* 10 amps at a 4% loss
* 15 amps at ~6% loss
* 25 amps at a 10% loss, and lastly
* Has a TOTAL carrying capacity of 60 amps (before it starts to burn).

What this means is that you could throw in a 25 amp fuse or breaker and have circuit protection for a peak load of 25 amps. I'd buy the wire from www.bestboatwire.com or www.surplusunlimited.com . Heck, if I knew the exact RUN to the terminals, I could even custom pre-make it for you.

Since we're on the topic of battery switches, I'm also installing a backup bilge pump. A Johnson 2200 which you recommended to me. Should this be wired directly to the batteries? I want it to have power all the time, even with the switch off. I hate the way wires look connected directly to the battery(ies). Starts to look sloppy. Is this how my OEM bilge pump is wired?

Thanks Dale. You are the best. 8)

Dom

96TL":cq414qjr said:
I'm also installing a backup bilge pump. A Johnson 2200, should this be wired directly to the batteries? I want it to have power all the time, even with the switch off.
I have 2 bilge pumps on automatic switches, so one is wired direct to battery #1 (forward pump) and the other to battery #2 (stern pump). I then have the 2200gph in reserve but needs the battery switch 'on', which would then also power my livewell pump on my thru-hull (with seacock) that has a switchable open port to allow it to drain from the bilge and not from raw water. All total my boat has 5600gph cabability ... hopefully enough to keep me alfoat as long as the motor runs or the batteries last ;) .

Now, I was 'smart' there too, as my forward auto bilge pump is 700gph and the stern auto one is 1500gph. I then installed a High Water alarm that is always armed and wired also to the same battery as the larger pump. Now why to the larger and not to the smaller pump? Good question!

Reasoning: If pump #1 (up forward) starts to cycle ALL the time, then the rear bilge pump will come on. In the meantime, pump #1, 700 gph and ~5-7 amps, will likely run continuously.

If and only when it can't keep up, the stern pump should kick in when enough water reaches the stern. If the stern pump can periodically keep up, then the bilge alarm won't sound. As soon as the high water alarm is tripped though, then the bilge alarm will sound. NOTE: all my local boat neighbors know my boat has a high water alarm installed most know how to reach me or whom to call so I can be notified.

Most likely a good neighbor would go to the boat to check it out first ...

Just my plan ...

Do you think it would be a good idea to hook-up a small buss bar directly to the batts, and run my "hot" wires to the buss bar instead? I have a few units that always need power. A bilge monitor, 2 bilge pumps, and 3 electronic sensors. Power draw is minimal. Thats a lot of wires on my batts.

Dom

Dom, Not looking to throw you a curve, but have you considered a rechargeable hand-held spotlight?

I have one that I bought at Home Depot three years ago. I charge it in the spring, and it will hold that charge all season long.

FWIW - A 12v dc handheld torch came with my boat when I bought her, but I've never put it on the boat. The rechargeable has done everything I'd ever want or need, so the 12v light sits on the shelf.

Admittedly, the handheld I have doesn't get used a lot, but it does get used.

Its an option...

I have, but its nice to know I'll never be stuck with a dead battery. Also, a plug-in the light is much more lightweight than a rechargable. Plus the beam is fantastic. 8)

I'd also like to use the power port to charge my iPod or cell phone if necessary.

I was actually considering going with a portable HID spotlight, but the 15 second warm up time turned me off. :(

Dom

Hey Dale, any reason to run a duplex wire to the power port? Can't I just run a heavy power wire from the battery switch, and ground it to the OEM buss bar? It'll be a short run to the ground. I could use something extra heavy, like an 8 guage.

Latest posts

Back