Just Retired / Heading down to Key Largo / Islamorada area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker 2310

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I just retired from my job after twenty five years, well semi-retired, i plan to begin consulting in the future. I am going to take a few months off before i start up again. But first i wanted to take few weeks down where it is warm and get in some fishing. I decided to go and rent a place that is ocean front right in the middle between Key Largo and Islamorada. It is water front and has a boat lift / bulkhead to tie up a boat. I am not going to trailer my boat all that way, but I am intending to rent a boat for the two weeks so that we can go out every day and fish. One of the boats they are renting is a 2520. I was wondering if any of the local florida guys in that region can give me any insight into the local fishing, whats doing good right now any locations i should try to hit, baits i should bring or try, etc. the boats are all fully equipted with electronics and coast guard required equiptment. I plan to drive down so i am bringing my own gear and extra safety stuff. Anything you guys may be able to tell me would be much appreciated, i plan to be there in April. Thanks in advance.

I towed my Parker to Islamorada a couple of years ago. I got some advice to hook up with a local Captain to go out on my boat and show me the ropes. It was money well spent. He showed me some gulf and ocean side spots. My 2120 wasn't well suited for the mangrove spots though. The wife and kids loved chumming just outside the reef.

Make sure you have very good charts. The water can be very shallow very quick. We are planning another trip next year.

Steve

Thanks guys, I would love to take my boat with me, but there is no way i drive 1200 miles with that big thing behide me. It just not for me, i would go crazy watching everything. Good idea with the local captain, thanks again.

Congratulations on your retirement Walter!
I think I'm busier now than when I was working a regular job. :)

The only dilemma I see, is that after renting that 2520 for 2 weeks, you're going to want to upgrade. 8)
Enjoy!

Enjoy the time in the Keys; will be in Marathon (Key Colony) in 3 months for dolphin & can't wait. Hooking up with a Guide for a day is a great start to get an idea on what you can do the rest of the 2 weeks. Be careful, a lot of species (grouper & snapper) is on an extended closed season right now down there so get a good idea from the Guide on what you can keep. Have fun. :)

The couple of times I've been down that way (Ft. Meyer/Sanibel in April/May), I've always fished from a relatively flat bottomed center console. As mentioned earlier, things get shallow there REAL quick. Though most of our fishing was in the rivers dumping into the bay and the flats. Obviously you'd be fine out in the Gulf but there is A LOT of great fishing in the rivers/tribs (tarpon, snook, shark, drum/redfish, etc).

Parker - Send a PM to Grouper Jim. He bought a place right in Islamorada a while back and has fished it frequently. I am sure he would be happy to share some local knowledge with you .

Back