Keel Repair Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrantley2320

Reaction score
I just discovered some minor damage to the keel on my 05' 2320. Not having had the pleasure of doing any gelcoat repair yet, I thought I would consult the experts (you guys) and stumbled onto Porkchunker's excellent clinic from a couple of years ago entitled "Gelcoat repair - A to Z." Some of the responses to his post suggested adding some glass to deeper chips and gouges. The below photo of the damage shows two areas of more pronounced scuffing (each 2" long by perhaps 1/8" deep separated by a 2" area of minor scuffing). First question is: Would you suggest adding glass for this repair, or should I just use Parker gelcoat? Also, would you suggest completing this repair in two parts, or as a single job? Given the depth of the scratches, is there any problem using the boat before making this repair, or should it be done immediately? Finally, in your opinion, is this a repair that a gelcoat repair newbee (like me) can handle (using Porkchunker’s instructions), or should I start out on a smaller ding and let a professional handle this one? Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and best regards,
-David Brantley
2005 Parker 2320 - "Tunatango"

Attachments

• Digital Camara Transfer Folder 048 (Small).jpg
    Digital Camara Transfer Folder 048 (Small).jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 576
i had the same problem. get some gel coat from yor parker dealer,clean the area with alcohol or mineral spirits, mix and aply gel coat,let cure for a few days then wet sand. and yes you can use your boat before doing repairs.

I would NOT use the boat prior to the repair. The glass is exposed and will absorb water and possibly cause delaminating. Also once wet could take weeks to dry properly to do repair. Sand the area lightly and clean with acetone prior to doing repair. Gel coat will work fine.

Formula 27 is a polyester-based filler, think Bondo for boats, and could be used for a quick 'temporary' patch until you get the time and gelcoat to repair it properly.

I'm guessing (by looking at your photo) that damage was caused by your trailer. Would that be a correct assumption?
If that is the case, you might want to consider adding a couple of keel bunks to protect the keel from further contact damage.

Where is the damage? The photo is difficult to ascertain. Is that a pic of the keel from below while the boat is on blocks, or are we looking at an angle? Is it at the bow, or further back? Backing up and taking another pic would help.

As Kevin asked, what caused the damage. I'd make sure whatever caused the damage is fixed and cannot cause it again.

Dave

aka

Thanks guys for the help. The damage is on the keel just behind the bow(photo is taken laying down underneath the boat). It was caused by the trailer last time I launched. I didn't realize that I had lost a rubber keel pad off one the crossmembers. Got a new one today, which I will install immediately. I will get some gelcoat and fix it this weekend. How would you recommend building up the new gelcoat? Since it is upside down, making a mold with tape (as Porkchunker's instructions suggest) might be a bit of a challenge. Can I just thicken the gelcoat slightly with cabosil and apply it with a putty knife in order to build it up? Or should I use a brush and do multiple coats? If multiple coats are applied, how much drying time is needed between coats?
Thanks again for your help,
-David

Back