Key West - Christmas Week

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Mattie

Reaction score
My extended familywants to spend Christmas week in Key West this year. I have toyed with the idea of towing my 2310 from Virginia down there but have a number of questins that I am hoping those on Classic Parker can answer. Are there palces to launch and store a boat in Key West?What is the fishing like this time of year? Does Florida have a fishing or boat licence that would be applicable? Would I need a guide?

If I decided not to tow the boat to Florida, are ther boats available for charter? Would I be better of just hiring a fishing guide for a couple of days? The cost of chartering might be less than the incremental gas cost plus marina fees. Plus the drive will not be easy.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

we trailer a 23 Parker to the Keys once or twice a year. i can't answer all your questions, but maybe my experiences can help you.

driving without towing gets 18 mpg

towing nets 10 mpg without ethanol, 8 mpg with ethanol

we have access to the Navy base, so when going to KW we use the ramp and free storage at the Navy base.

we've found that the best Key for taking the boat (most things to do) is Islamorada.

While I have never towed my boat down there, I have fished the Keys quite a bit.

I can tell you that:

1) The inshore waters can get very skinny and dangerous. Local knowledge is critical.

2) There is no shortage of guides in the Keys. There are guides that target just about every species down there.

3) Licensing:
Nonresident Saltwater Fishing Licenses

Nonresident Annual Saltwater Fishing $47.00

Nonresident 3-Day Saltwater Fishing $17.00

Nonresident 7-Day Saltwater Fishing $30.00

I don't think you need a license if fishing off a chartered vessel but not sure.

5) By the time you tow your boat, added cost of fuel, cost of any unforseen breakdowns, damage to boat by not knowing the waters,
you might as well charter.

I've towed to the Keys many times. We don't fish or generally stay at marinas but I can tell you this:

Key West is not ramp friendly. We do Key West by car or boat. It's a fun place, but busy. We splash at either Key Largo - John Pennekamp, or better yet Bahia Honda.
BahiaHondaStPk.jpg

We stay on the boat both on the water and on the road, so the extra gas is offset by no motel costs. We get 17 without towing and about 12 pulling the boat...we WallyDock on the way down (sleep aboard in WalMart parking lots).

There's boating on both 'sides' of the Keys, so you can almost always find 'sheltered' water. Here, we splashed at Bahia Honda, took the Big Spanish Channel to Key West, cruised the area/anchored overnight and came back on the Hawk Channel side (including a trip up to Boot Key Jarbor - Marathon)
image068.jpg

Yes the water can get thin, but with a GPS there's no problem getting around.

This is the anchorage at Key West.
KEYWEST.jpg

KWFortheBirds.jpg

You can almost hear the sun go hissss when it hits the horizon at the end of the day.
SunriseOverFoweyRocks.jpg

Miss Mattie,

Key West is Fun,But as others have said,you drive there as it is not Ramp friendly,Best place is Islamorada,Many things to do,Great fishing.

As for guides,December thru March/April are high season months and expect to pay higher prices than offseason,maybe with the econimy in the way it is,you may find cheaper rates.

There are many guides listed on internet,check them out,they have rates posted.

I use the ramp at Harry Harris park in Tavernier,Penekamp is great too,the good thing about using your boat is,you get to use it at your convinenice,meaning time,go out when you want and come back when you want,some ramps require you to come back by sunset,but there are many Motels with ramps,docks that you can basicly do whatever you want and fees are very reasonable.

Good luck
Robert

I would concur with staying in the Islamorada area and taking a day to drive down to check out Key West. Lots of good restaurants and places to stay (PM me and I can give you recommendations, we go there every year in March).

As others have said there are plenty of guides and charters. If you call a few marinas (e.g., Bud n Mary's) or tackle or fly shops (e.g., Florida Keys Outfitters), they could put you in touch with a more reputable guide. It's not unusual for the backcountry guides to be $500 in the Keys. In the winter, the tarpon, bonefish, and permit fishing is a bit more difficult due to lower sun angles and frontal passages, but a good guide can find fish almost anytime. The offshore fishing is better in the winter, especially sailfish, or you can party-boat the reefs.

wayne

Miss Mattie,
If you can swing it having your boat tied to a dock to use when you want is as good as it gets.
As others have stated Key West has a few ramps but you would do better in the lower keys, Marathon or Islamorada. Christmas week is one of the busiest weeks of the year and some places charge a premium. :twisted:

There are places in the lower keys that you can dock your boat where you are staying that are not as pricy as Key West.

My vote would be to tow it.

Thanks to all who responded. I think the gods have determined that I not tow the boat down so I will be investigating guides and charters. Any suggestions of names of good inshore and offshore guides or charters would be appreciated.

Thanks

Miss Mattie, I live in Marathon and of course am partial to that area. We have much to offer and many areas to fish regardless of the wind. Most of the charters have bigger boats so you can fish most days. Recommended are: In Marathon: Capt. Pips marina and boat rental. Ask for John ( capt Pip). Also in Key Colony Beach( next to Marathon) is the Main Attraction. These guys are known for the excellent catch records. One other a little further towards Key West is Sea Boots Charters in Cudjoe Key. In any case where ever you go in the keys you will have a great trip. I would also agree with the others that you boat in the middle keys and party in Key West. :lol: :lol:

delidon

Back