Lazyman Lenco Upgrade to 12X18

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcir

Reaction score
I installed my new Lenco 12X18 tabs without moving the rams or disconnecting any cables or gel coating any areas. I simply let 6 inches of the tab stay outboard and the other 12 inches are inboard. Makes the most effective use of the tabs. See photos.

I bought new 12X18 Lenco tabs with the rams, cables, etc. for about the price as the tabs. I added a stainless angle to each tab (probably not necessary) and filled in the holes in the tabs which were for the ram to mount to if they were centered on the tab.

On the boat, I unbolted the rams from the tabs and tied them up out of the way. Removed the screws in the tabs and then used a scraper to pop off the old 12X12 tabs. Epoxied the holes in the transom and filled the ones I would not use with 5200. Let all dry and cleaned up the area.

Screwed on the new 12X18 tabs using the holes already in them along with some 5200 on the tabs. Placed the rams down on the new tabs, marked and drilled the three holes for each ram base. Bolted the rams on. Let all dry 24 hours. Finished.

Did not have to remove a ram or a wire and no gel coat repair. I have a spare set of rams if all fails, but Bennett and Lenco both think this should work fine.

I had also held a flat wooden panel (like a 6 inch trim tab extension) down near the center line of the boat at WOT and the pressure was not as much as I expected so I felt confident the tabs would work in the offset position.

The tabs work super and I can trim the boat easily as people move around the aft cockpit and keep her balanced. Love the response now to the tabs..........................Pete

Attachments

• 100_0527 (Small).JPG
    100_0527 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_0545 (Small).JPG
    100_0545 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_0546 (Small).JPG
    100_0546 (Small).JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_0700 (Small).JPG
    100_0700 (Small).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 357
John_Madison CT":31m7vuoq said:
Nice work !! This may be my winter project.
where did you find lencos for that price,and how have they been holding up in the offset position.

Cannot locate my Lenco kit invoice. Will look on the boat next visit. I do see that:

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... t=0&page=1

has the 12X18 kit for $339 but not sure exactly what I paid last summer. As I recall, Lenco gave me the name of an outlet that carried just the plates (think it was in Tampa/St. Pete) and when I talked to them they made the deal work well for me for the kit (actuators & plates).

I was going to price just having six inches of stainless welded to the inboard sides to my existing tabs but ran out of patience.

My new tabs now have maybe 40 hours on them and they continue to work perfectly.

Ah ha. Just remembered I stored the old plates, indicator & the 2 new actuators in a garage near my marina so will also check that box too.

Did find the invoice where I bought the Lenco LED indicator trim tab switch on EBay from Eastern Marine for $208 & love it too, especially the auto retract..................Pete

Did finally locate my old notes. I had looked at adding Bennett blades to my Lenco actuators, welding a plain 6 inch addition to the inboard edge on my factory 12X12 Lenco plates, simply adding the 12X18 Lenco plates to the existing actuator positions and (my last choice) to move my actuators to center them on new 12 X18 Lenco plates.

On my search I found the two 12X18 Lenco plates were about $270 (Bennett's about the same) and that a kit of two 12X18 Lenco plates, two new actuators, all brackets and hardware was $327. I opted for the kit and then installed the new plates WITHOUT moving the actuators as a simple install. Also installed the LED position indicator on the console.

Bought the Lenco 12X18 kit from:

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroo ... plies.html

So now I have a full 12X12 Lenco kit left over of my two used 12X12 plates, two new Lenco actuators, all the brackets and hardware plus the original control (which moves the tabs without the LED position indicators) to sell all as a kit or I can just keep the actuators as spares............Pete

the hindge on my lencos rusted out ,replacing with 12 x12s purchased from boaters world = $400(tabs and pistons). did you epoxy the old holes and re-drill then,or did you use 5200 in the old holes prior to installing the screws.

I know this post is months old but I would like to know where you bought just the tabs. I only need the tabs as everything else is in excellent shape. I just added an engine bracket and am thinking I may need to increase the size of the tabs and your idea looks like it works fine. Thanks for any help you can give me.

My old notes say you could try Trailer Parts Superstore 800-453-7379, Hodges Marine 866-367-6707 and Lenco to see if they could suggest a dealer who might have just the blades for sale 772-288-2662.

I have the Lenco part number TT12X18ENS but you could recheck this.

I also looked at installing 12X18 Bennett blades onto my Lenco actuators as I felt they would work just the same if I could have found them cheaper. If you go that route, a good contact is Tom McGow at Bennett 954-427-1400.

The 18's are much more sensitive and can really quickly tilt my 2120 at high speed so I move mine with short bursts. Good luck..................Pete

call Lenco,they will give you a dealers name which is very close to them,that is were I got my tabs only 12x18 edge mounts and just replaced the tabs.
Robert

Back