Live Baitwells

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That baitwell looks awesome,but I want something that can be portable.I only have a 2120 and want all the cockpit room I can muster.I use live bait when fishing for summer flounder(minnows),peanut bunker,and large bunker fishing for bass.If I have enough room behind the splash guard,I am considering the 20 gal.The pump comes with 2 alligator clips which I can hook up directly to the battery,just have to be careful of the lid not crimping the wires.

As I understand it, the livewell you're lookin' at has only an aerator pump. No good to keep bait alive. You need a constant supply of water.

Consider hard plumbing a livewell pump in your Parker to a thru hull and terminating at a hose bib. Use a short piece of garden hose to hook up to portable livewell. If livewell is tall enough, discharge over side of boat or allow hose to discharge at your scuppers.

Talked to my fishing buddy today about it,he said same thing,just an aerator will not do the job.I'm pretty handy,maybe if I can find the right size tank,I'll make my own fittings and hook up to the raw water washdown like you said.

Lucky John":1p80oaze said:
and hook up to the raw water washdown like you said.

Typically, a raw water washdown pump delivers a little water at high pressure (it's noisy and not made for continuous use). Use a livewell pump for your livewell. Might wanna check out livebaitlarry.

Lucky John,

I have the Keep Alive System. I actually bought it for my freshwater boat to keep large herring alive for striper fishing (rockfish) on the Roanoke River (North Carolina). Everyone is correct, you need to pump water into it to keep any large baits alive. I tried to use the system "as is" and without the continuous intake of water. It would work okay for awhile if it was not too hot. However, it was simply not sufficient without changing the water out every so often. The keep alive folks say that you do not need to pump in water . . . I disagree, especially when it is warm out.

I modified my tank as follows: I connected a small line to my existing livewell pump on my boat and I then run the water into the bottom of the tank. I have a valve connected to the tank at the bottom to prevent backflow which was occurring at certain times when I would turn off the water. The tank comes with a drain at the bottom and I simply bought the parts to connect the intake line to the existing drain valve (with the shut off valve). I also inserted an elbow inside the drain to allow the water to go into the tank against the wall of the tank in a circular manner. Then, I drilled a larger hole close to the top of the tank and ran a overflow tube out of the tank. This overflow tube hangs over the side of my boat when the water pump is on to allow for draining. I had to experiment with the size of the overflow tube to allow the water to drain at the proper rate to avoid the tank overfilling. I do not run the water intake all of the time. I just do so every so often to keep the bait fresh. I just developed a feel by watching the baits and the water itself.

I used this system for 12 inch or so herring the last few years and it has worked well. I bought all of the parts needed at Lowes. I am not necessarily the handiest man with tools, but I created a pretty good system after several failed attempts.

Right now, my tank is just going to collect dust in the shed since North Carolina has banned the use of herring to fish for rockfish in the river. The state clearly does not understand the many years it took me to finally develop a system to keep my herring alive. :)

I was on the phone with Keep Alive the other day asking questions,they told me the same thing.I'm not too worried about the minnows (killies),they are very hearty,it's the larger herring and bunkers I'm worried about.My boat is due any day now.Once it comes I'll take my time rigging it the proper way.I aprreciate everyones feedback. :wink:

I love my Kodiak PF-26. By a blem from the Kodiak site and save some money. Works great, and can be totally removed at any time. You will need to installed a pump and thru-hull though. I run it with a Shurflo Baitsentry 800GPH pump.

I'll take my live well barrel over anyone's !!!
40 gal round white barrel that sits on the port corner of my engine bracket, not taking up any deck space and no water at all in the boat !!!
, 1 1/2 inlet at the bottom, (3) 1 1/2 overflows at the top, being fed by a 3400 gal pump with it's own separate s bronze seacock, The pump also serves as my wash down (with a nozzle on the 10 ft 1 1/2 hose, it's like a fire hose !!!
I can keep ANYTHING alive in this for as long as I want!!!
I'll try to resize a few pictures and post them later.

40 gallons of water on the bracket is pretty heavy. Does the extra weight on the side effect the boat at all? I was going to go with a 42 gallon, but it just seemed like too much dead weight.

I'm jealous,my boat hasn't arrived yet,and now they are prediciting snow for Wed...... :shock:

96TL":2m4g2klv said:
40 gallons of water on the bracket is pretty heavy. Does the extra weight on the side effect the boat at all? I was going to go with a 42 gallon, but it just seemed like too much dead weight.

The boat will lean on the port side a bit when underway, but adjusting my 24 in wide tabs takes care of that problem.

Back