Mildew

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Even though my boat is rack stored and I leave the screened windows open, I am getting mildew inside the cabin on some cushions and chairs that are stored in the Pilothouse. I've thought about getting some bags of Damp Rid. I can't leave the door open cause cats and /or coons get in and leave footprints all over. Suggestions?

Remove as many cushions, coats, and other fabrics that can hold moister and store off boat for the winter. Clean the area that has mold with mild beach, or full strength Simple Green. Place 3-4 of the big tubs(bigger the area, more tubs) of damp rid/StarBrite damp-out. I even place some tubs under decks. Keeps it mold free when moving air is not an option. The key is to get rid of it, then keep the area cleaned out of other stuff.

No ventilation, add the screened louvers to the front windows and consider a dorade box on the roof. You need airflow.

I have a 2310 and my cabin would do the same thing when I first got it. I know my cabin is smaller than yours but whenever I put the boat up after fishing I take a damp rid bag and hang from the window on top. It has cured my problem. When I come back to the boat, not only is it nice and dry but it smells nice too. Bag is always full of water.

Seem to only get the mold when i bring it home how ever just put bleach and some water in squirt bottle and open all windows spray and run works great every time on the carpet,sides almost every thing just try to use mask ist strong.Ps wear whit close as well dont want to stain anything

Attachments

• parker 03.jpg
    parker 03.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 423
I find that mold armor that is found in paint section of home depot is the best thing for removing mold from any thing. it keeps it from coming back also. my bilge area was always dingy , back where the bat. and oil res. is in transom with all the wires couldn't scrub well, srayed every thing other than gas in those areas. sprayed mold armor ( ugly green bottle ) it is spotless looks like new, no scrub just spray and rinse, says it works on fabric also, it is used on moldy walls before painting them. give it try, it is the best stuff on boat i have found some grayish areas i thought were grime or smudges were mold i love the stuff. tinmantoo bel air md. 23dv wa

I have read and seen more issues of folks having mold and mildew with boats that are stored inside. My neighbor for example would wash his boat and put it in his shed and close the doors. Not one breath of air could flow through the building. His boat was filthy with mold and mildew. My boat would sit outside in the sun and get completely dry first. Then on a sunny day when there is some breeze, I'd open up the cabin and bilge hatches and let it breath. Not one issue with mold or mildew.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

Leave you're PH door and front windows open. I leave my back curtain off for the same reason.

Back