More scrounging - teak swim platform concept

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
FYI:

Here's my concept drawing to add a teak swim platform to BOTH sides of my OB bracket, mimicing the look of the full patform some of you already have, but using ... 'teak' for my big girl MISS TEAK of course.

swim_bracket_187.jpg

Step 1 - The idea - that was easy.

Step 2 - Getting a suitable swim platform. That was tough. I must have bid on 4 or more on eBay only to win one and have the buyer stiff me for $261, :x ggrrrrrrrrrrrr, of which PayPal only protected me to $200. Lesson to ALL - ONLY use credit cards with PayPal purchases > $200.

Step 3 - Get another platform! Well 'lo & behold I was driving down interstate 95 the other night, in the rain, when I pass a truck going all of 40mph in the right lane. As I pass him I see the truck FULL of crap, trash, and odd boat parts ... mostly throw-away stuff, less this beautiful ~1.5" thick (on main pieces, almost 3" with teak support plates) all teak swim platform all of 9' wide on top of the pile!

Needless to say I get my truck pulled over and wave him down to stop by pointing excitedly at his load. He stops - I get his cell phone number - and I buy the platform from him the next day for $150. Yee ha!

Step 4 - Clean, sand, and give it my 10-coat Cetol, epoxy, and varnish 'brightwork' treatment.

Step 5 - Install before the season starts! I'll use 5052 1/4" thick angle on the aluminum OB bracket and 1/8" or heavier 316L stainless on the transom supports. Then 1 or 2 vertical supports each side, maybe one from below and one from above (on the ends?). Thoughts there?

Wish me luck ... ;) !

Attachments

• TeakSwim1.JPG
    TeakSwim1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 835
  • TeakSwim2.JPG
    TeakSwim2.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 835
DaleH":1dcaqvfa said:
Wish me luck ... ;) !

Wish you luck! ..........I don't think you need any luck from us.....what do you call that find on the highway? ...... I've never heard of such luck!

Good for YOU! :lol:

Good job, Dale, thats my kind of scrounging. I used to be able to find most of the stuff I needed at the dump as my Father did before me, but dumps aren't what they used to be; no more jumping into the pile and pulling good stuff out.

I had the same sort of 2 piece platform in mind. I think I probably have the same Armstrong bracket on my '89 that you have. My concern was bolting extra weight (teak plus people) onto an 18 year old bracket in addition to 550# (?) of 225 hp engine. Add in a little pitting and corrosion from a former owner applying copper bottom paint to the aluminum bracket and missing zincs,etc.

Anyway, what is your feeling about the weight rating of a bracket (where can you find it?) or am I worrying about nothing?

Happy Easter Everyone

Here's hoping Spring weather will find us soon.

Doug

Nice find Dale...I think you can smell a piece of teak from 100 miles away. That should be a great addition to that classy Parker of yours.

You the man...

Unbelievable what people throw out. I fished a whole teak deck for a 38 foot Cabo Rico from a dumpster, one board at a time.

Dale that ought to make an interesting addition when complete. Is it going to be a this season project or a next season project? NHR

dougmacf":215weakv said:
I had the same sort of 2 piece platform in mind ... have same Armstrong bracket on my '89 that you have. My concern was bolting extra weight (teak plus people) onto an 18 year old bracket in addition to 550# (?) of 225 hp engine. Add in a little pitting and corrosion from a former owner applying copper bottom paint to the aluminum bracket and missing zincs,etc. What is your feeling about the weight rating of a bracket (where can you find it?) or am I worrying about nothing?
Doug:

I once had asked Stainless Marine (Miami, FL) about this and they thoughtis would be 'OK' provided that the teak platform was supported from below and from the top. I will check again with them and get a weight opinion. I think Imay cut this bracket to be a bit more narrow so the moment would be less. But,m if I can find 4 good aluminum or SS angle brackets, I'll just go for it. I may consioder holding the ends by a verticle rod/arm to the stern ring eye.

nhr3":215weakv said:
Is it going to be a this season project or a next season project? NHR
Hopefully this season ;) provided I can engineer it properly, even if I just have to seal it with oil.

Back