Mounting Downriggers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Anybody got any pics of there downriggers on there boats ? I know that alot of guys don't use or have a use for them. But, up here they're essential and everybody has them on there boats. I would just like to see some mounted and some pics.

I have Cannon downriggers mounted on the gunnels of my boat. Sorry, no pictures however. I would suggest you mount them far enough forward for easy access while unser way. I mounted mine approximately three feet foward of the transom but wish I had mounted them at least another 2-3 feet forward of that.

JWL, You don't have troubles with the lines getting close to your props when turning. We always try to mount them as far back on the gunnel and as close to the transom as possible. We put prop gaurds on our kickers for that exact scenario. To far with forward and the possibility of cutting/rubbing the bottom of your boat with the cables. Arm length on the downriggers is a major consideration as well. We use Scotty downriggers up here, where I live. I'd really like to see some pics if you ever get the chance to take some. What do you fish for ? How deep ? An what speed do travel at when trolling.

I mounted them where I did because I was worried about the cable getting in the prop. Just wish I had mounted them a liitle further forward.

I troll mostly for kig mackerel and wahoo on the downriggers using live baits so I troll pretty slow - 2-3 knots. When I use aritficals I will troll at about 4-5 kts. for macks and 8-10 kts for wahoo. I troll anywhere from 2-3 ft depth to as much as 65-70 ft depending on what I am fishing for. We also get grouper on downriggers and will troll almost on the bottom for them. Usuall in the 70 ft range with diving plugs. For kings I will stack two lines on each rigger at varying depths.

I will have to see what what will work best for the type of fishing we do here. We stack two rods on each side for everything except halibut. We fish for Sockeye,Springs,Coho. We can troll or jig for halibut. We jig for bottom fish like red snapper,lingcod and sea bass. We fish anywhere from 25 feet deep all the way too 250+ ft. What waters are you fishing in to get those types of fish ? Are they hard to catch ? Do you guys use kicker motors to troll or just the main motor ?

I don't have a kicker so I use the main engine(s). We also fish for tuna, dorado, sailfish and cobia. The kings and cobia are generally found inshore while the wahoo, tuna, sailfish, and dorado are offshore.

Sailfish are not caught every day and are usually run into while wahoo or tuna fishing. There are also some marlin caught but I don't normally run far enough offshore for them.

Wahoo are extremely fast and may take several hundred yards of line on their first run if they are of any size (40 + lbs.) and tuna are greater fighters as well. Most of the kings I catch are in the 20-50 lb. range while the wahoo may be as much as 60+ lbs. Plus, they are great eating.

I have fished the Pacific coat of CA. and caught ling cod, Pacific red snapper, tuna, dorado, and yellowtails.

In our bays we generally catch speckled trout, redfish, flounder, black drum, sand trout, and croaker.

Back