mounting outriggers on my 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big breezy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 2008 2320 I am trying to figure out were I want to mount my outriggers and wanted some input. I am debating on weather to go with the taco grand slam 170 flush mount or a gunnel mount outrigger. I really would like to go with the grand slam on the hard top but I have had some people tell me the hard top is not strong enough and they will push through. I personally fined this hard to believe as am wondering if they had a problem because they did not put a backplate on it. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this problem or if you think I will be fine if they are properly backplated. Thank you-chris

There has indeed been a change in roof design and if you have one of the newer ones where there are channels or 'bumps' on the top, those are probably where people allege that the roof can't take the strain. If I have it right, the roof used to be quite thick for the whole run ... now it isn't.

If I were you, I'd call the Engineering Dept for Parker - they're quite helpful!

be careful what the engineering department tells you. They told me I was fine on my t top and they were really wrong.

i contemplated the same thing. i have both a pair of taco 270 grand slams and a pair of tigress wish bones that i just purchased on e bay for 1000. after lots of reading, i decided to go with the wishbones and sell the grand slams. I like the ease of the taco grandslams but cant see cutting those holes in my roof and relocating my antennas.

I still have not figured out what I am gunna do yet but I guess I should clarify. I was thinking about the grand slam 170 witch is a flush mount base witch only needs four small holes for the bolts. Unlike the 270 with requires a big hole to be cut for the pivot handle. The only way I want to put them on the roof is if they are flush mount. I also wouldn't mined going with the lee OH277T flush mounts. But I dont think lee makes those anymore I can't fined New ones for sale neither can I fined a set of used ones. So if you know someone with a set they are trying to get rid of please let me know. Thanks -chris

I suppose a lot depends on the type of fishing that you do.
In my case, we troll for Rockfish here in the Chesapeake, and these fish don't 'run' the way a tuna does.

Because of that, I installed a set of Lee Jr Wishbones on the side of my pilothouse.
The poles are a set of 19' polished heavy duty rigger poles that have been double rigged.

The wishbones were shimmed on the outside of the pilothouse to tuck the outriggers in as close as possible.
Custom stainless backing plates were used inside the cabin to make sure the installation was rock solid.

Some installation tips if you decide to go this route...
These are hand-built boats and the port and starboard sides are not an exact mirror image of each other.
Remove the graphics on the side because there is no way you can mount everything properly without drilling through the graphic.

Once you determine where to drill to mount the first wishbone, mount that one side first.
Then... take your measurements on the other side, but only drill a single hole at the bottom of the wishbone.
Put a single bolt in, then have a helper eyeball the rake of the poles.
When you have the two sides lined up, mark your holes for drilling and bolt her down.

Trust me... I had fiberglass to repair and I still didn't get it quite right.

Here are some photos that might help.
If you need anything more detailed, just ask. If I have the shots, I'll post them.

Attachments

• outrigger1.jpg
    outrigger1.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 15
  • outrigger2.jpg
    outrigger2.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 14
  • outrigger3.jpg
    outrigger3.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 13
  • outrigger4.jpg
    outrigger4.jpg