My first Major Issue. I have Questions.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a blown fuse to me. Most of them are on the port side of the motor.

I don't think it would turn over if the minimum voltage was too low, and if it was low, it would turn slowly. Those were my symptoms last year with bad connections.

If it ran fine before cutting out, and now turns over normally with no sputter or misfire, then either there is no spark or no fuel. Fouled plugs would still sputter from firing. My fuel system was all gunned up last year but it always started, until the low pressure fuel pump failed, causing a fuse to blow every time it got power. It doesn't need all the fuel pressure to idle, so a Yamaha with clogged fuel system should start, but the pumps have fuses associated with them, and if one is blown, no fuel….

ok, Thanks - I should say, I'll look at the plugs to see if they are fouled today and I will check to see if there is spark and if there is - then look at fuel. I checked all the fuses I could and didn't see any labeled fuel? or fuel pump? this photo shows the only fuse I didn't check. I opened the fuse cover next to this area and checked all the fuses. this was under a black cover with 3 screws, Anyone know what this 30A fuse does?

Attachments

• jbox.jpg
    jbox.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 589
  • mpr.jpg
    mpr.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 589
Electrical ... dumb question but is the ignition kill lanyard disconnected? I've also seen bum ignition switches cause all sorts of weird and non-starting issues.

But CAUTION to all ... I've also seen loose grounds kill stators and voltage rectifier/regulators. On Yams, that volt R and R is usually a combo part, where the rectifier converts the AC current from the stator windings into useable DC current, then regulated to nominal 12VDC by the regulator.

I'm going to pick one of those up today. (spark plug tester)
The ignition kill lanyard is connected and I thought that also, so I pulled and pushed and jiggled it, tweaked the trim switch a couple times, confirmed neutral position. all those things you would try to get it back to square one position. I'm starting to think the lose ground wire to the motor shorted out a component also. But first thing at this point is to confirm spark. I'll jump on it when I get home.

So I spot checked plug 1 and 3 to get both those coils and they fired. That tool had a light. Then I popped off the gas line after what I think is two pumps. Cranked it and gas came out. So I have gas and spark. Pulled each plug and the are all clean and look new. My local Yamaha machanics are three weeks out because of May. What am I missing?

Yes. Perko looks fine. I pulled it off and checked it. It was under the rear seat/battery holder and is clean as a whistle.

do you heard the fuel pumps?
let sit
key on but do not start
walk back to OB with cowling off
the low pressure fuel pump
should kick on for a few seconds to pump fuel to VST

other guesses
After you turn it over
pull a plug and check for gas in the cylinder

maybe it is not getting gas

Yeah. Thanks
Sitting down helped. I was getting bummed out.
You know what. No I don't hear the fuel pump. I'm not sure it's pumping
The fuel might be from me pumping the bulb.
I have to do that silly work thing again.
I'm no mechanic, should I be digging deeper into this?
Id hate to make things worse.
I might just commission the Jon boat and go catch some bass this weekend.
And wait for a professional.
The weekend is approaching.

Smittles1179":1j7l4j3v said:
ok, Thanks - I should say, I'll look at the plugs to see if they are fouled today and I will check to see if there is spark and if there is - then look at fuel. I checked all the fuses I could and didn't see any labeled fuel? or fuel pump? this photo shows the only fuse I didn't check. I opened the fuse cover next to this area and checked all the fuses. this was under a black cover with 3 screws, Anyone know what this 30A fuse does?

did you check this fuse?

I replaced the tilt trim switch on a yammie a while back that was acting strange and it resolve the problem... However sounds like you may have damaged some part of the "brain".

Also cant help wondering about your emergency kill switch ...

So I have the Answer to the question as to what happened to my motor.
As you know I did find the Ground Wire to the block loose, took it off, found arching marks, cleaned and replaced but still nothing. (motor turns doesn't fire)

The ANSWER was: Electronic fuel pump bad. Brent had pointed out the question "can you hear the fuel pump"? - I couldn't hear it like I used to. When I pumped the bulb I got gas, when I turned the key I thought I was getting gas. The Yamaha mechanic threw the lap top on her and said clearly not enough pressure from the fuel pump. So part ordered and that should resolve the issue. I'll update when the final tested solution is in place. I can only imagine the loose ground wire played some role in this failure.
Thanks for the help on this guys. Your input was helpful.
Smittles

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad that you got it sorted out.

I hope that's the end of it for you. . Interesting post. I like puzzles, but these kind suck, I think we all have been there

So the final report is in. It was the fuel pump. to replace it and the VST filter I had to have a couple gaskets replaced. I started it up in the yard on Saturday and everything looks perfect again. I'll be taking her out next weekend to do some striper fishing and get back in the game. I had been using the Jon Boat and Kayak - I forgot how fun that is, Nailed some nice bass on a top water frog. Exciting stuff! My Striper skills are still lacking and catching fish out of the Jon or Kayak on a warm Saturday afternoon is almost as fun as enjoying Narragansett Bay or Block island fishing on the Parker. (Almost! It's a different animal really, I feel pretty Bad Ass on my 2120) Anyway, Again - Thanks for the Help in troubleshooting this problem. It's nice to have a place like Classic Parker with such a friendly group always willing to help you out. Thanks.
~Smittles

Attachments

• fish1.JPG
    fish1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 76
Back