Need some advice on Parker purchase

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprbxr

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 1993 Parker 21 CC with a 2004 Yamaha 150 engine. Here is the catch: The guy wants me to make an offer. Generally, I stay away from deals where I must start the bidding but the boat is pretty clean and it is exactly what I have been looking for. I know placing a value on something like this is difficult with out seeing first hand, I was hoping I could get some kind of ballpark range without lowballing the guy too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Justin

Attachments

• Parker.jpg
    Parker.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Parker2.jpg
    Parker2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,093
Nice boat. I also think your concerns mean you are considerate, and do not want to offend the guy, which is nice.

Assuming the boat is a $17,000 boat (a guess... I am not an expert), you could go to Yachtworld, boattraderonline, usedboats.com, NADA values, etc and furnish him with a print out.

For example: "I researched on line and in the Salty Dog. There are eight 21 foot Parkers for sale used between $13,000 and $25,000. The $25,000 one is a 2004 with a Yamaha F150 and GPS VHF lots of goodies. Your boat most resembles a 1996 on usedboats, which is listed at 12,500, but yours has newer power.... so in assigning a value to your boat, which I really like, I used the $12,500 as a starting point, and added $2500 for the newer power, and figure she is worth between $15k and $17k. NADA value places her at $16,300 roughly. What do you say to $16k in crisply ironed one dollar bills?"

You get the drift.....

I like the guy selling the boat to name his starting price also.

While getting the rig for $17,000 would be great, that seems low. I sold two similar 21 SE's privately in the past 12 months that were loaded and in great shape. One went for $25,000 and the other for $27,000. The same guy bought both of them and is absolutely delighted with the boats and the price.

Those high bow rails Parker installs may be great for children and the infirm but are a real detriment to light tackle and fly fishing. Years ago I had an 18' Parker with one of those and one of my shorter buds kept nailing it with every turn of his spinning reels--clink, clink, clink, clink. :shock:

Thanks for the replys. When I searched the NADA, they put the average retail at $4020. I thought that was extremely low. That value includes power supposedly. I also checked the NADA value of the motor: $6000 +/-. These NADA values do not seem very realistic IMO.

Justin

Justin-

The friend of mine who bought the first 21 Parker totaled it. At that time a boat dealer checked the book value and it was also way under what the boat was worth. The dealer thought maybe it was w/o motor but it included the motor. He was puzzled by the low book value also.

BTW, the one I sold for $25,000 had a 2 stroke Yammy and the one for $27,000 had a 4 stroke. At least for this buyer the four stroke was a big factor in price.

FWIW... NADA values are totally worthless on popular boats such as a Parker. Those values are only used by people attempting to lowball a seller. Comps are a better indicator. Even better are comps in the same geographic location.

I like Sals logic. Check the comps and put together a list. Compare them with this boat and if the seller has no idea of a starting price, give him one. I'll bet if you offered $17k he'd seriously consider it, especially if he was the original owner. You can bet that boat sold for much less in 1993 when new, so the owner sees himself coming out ahead.

Whatever you offer, if it's a price you are willing to pay, and a price he is willing to take, both parties walk away happy.

Good luck!

When I was looking for a Parker back in December I saw a 1998(9?) 21 with 1998(9?) Yamaha 150, 9.9 Kicker, Livewell, T-top, trailer and electronics for $16,900 on boats.com.

I think the name on the boat was Seas the Day????

I hate it when people don't have a starting price and say
"What are you willing to pay for it?"

I always say "How about a nickel"

You don't really have a "boat" there, you have a hull, engine, and a trailer. If you end up buying a used rig, it is a good idea to have the seller break down the bill of sale so that there is an individual price for those three components. The engine of course is the most expensive of the three components. It is only the engine for which you WILL NOT pay sales tax. At least thats the way it works in FL.

Also, although a Parker is a highly desireable boat and maintains a high resale value, what has worked for me in the past, is to go to the bank/credit union and a get an actual loan value--let them do the work. I have actually started negotiating at the loan value and got lucky once on used 19 footer (non-Parker boat).

jim

Back