Need Some Help with Hubs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bro

Reaction score
I have a 2003 1801 sitting on the original EZ Loader Roller Trailer and the hubs are looking a little scary. Is this a part I can buy and replace myself? It seems that there is no axle and the hubs bolt right to the frame?

I will be out there fishing the derby next month and if I can order the parts, is this a job I can knock out in a few hours?

Thanks!

Todd

Attachments

• EZ Loader-Changed.jpg
    EZ Loader-Changed.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 682
  • Rusted Hub-Changed.jpg
    Rusted Hub-Changed.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 682
Spray the bolts with RGS (Really Good Shit)...no really, that is the name. Let sit for a couple of hours, spray again.

Slam the heads of the bolts with a big brass hammer as hard as you can swing it. This will break any rust and allow you to remove them. Make sure it is brass so you don't deform the heads of the bolts.

If that doesn't work, use more RGS then some heat.

Once you get the job done, put a reminder on your winterization routine to remove the bolts, spray with RGS and reinstall.

Dave

aka

You can get new hubs for less than $50 per from any trailer outlet. Go to http://www.ezloader.com/ and check out the hubs and bearing sets you will need. Notice that your hubs have lug bolts and NOT lug nuts. Either is fine but make sure to get the nuts if you need them for a local hub purchase. I have ordered hubs from EZ Loader and found them reasonably priced, even with shipping. I would ask them to pack the bearings and seat them in the hub if you don't have the stuff to do it properly. Have the old hubs cleaned up and refit them if you want.

Carry a spare with you on the road. Order one of the axle sleeves as a spare while you're at it. They often get boogered-up when the hub bearing fries and they are difficult to find locally. They are cheap. Get some spare lug bolts or replace all the ones you have with new ones. Since EZ Loader only puts brakes on one wheel per side you may need to carry an extra brake drum as well for side-of-the-road repairs. Thanks EZ. :roll:

It's the inside that matters, not what they look like on the outside. How are your bearing buddies? They look rough. Replace them too if they are rusted on the inside. Bang 'em off with a large mallet or 2X4.

Spraying down your wheels is an integral part of trailer maintenance. You should rinse them after every dunk in salt water. I use salt-away to really flush them. Install a flush port on the rear of the drums and hook up a hose with salt-away and flush after each use. It really keeps the wheels in good shape. My brakes look about one year old instead of five.

How much grease you should pump into the buddies is a good question. I will tend to add more than recommended because of experience. I held back for a time and had a rear bearing burn up, never again! I'd rather have grease forcing water out of a blown seal than a lack of grease letting water and other junk into the bearing.

I hate trailers of any kind, they all suck... especially mine. A necessary evil. When I have enough money I will have one built to my specs. How can a boat trailer possibly be one-fifth the cost of a new Mazda Miata?

Floating a boat off of a bunk trailer is a crap shoot when dealing with a shallow ramp. Sometimes dynamite is needed. Bouncing the trailer up and down, shoving, cussing and other escapades involving rope are the norm. I lost all that when I switched to a roller rig, but I'd still rather have a bunk. Low center of gravity, better boat support, easier to get in and out of (lower), power loading easier, boat tends to stay on the trailer during transport - All of these reasons make bunks better in my view. The ramps we have here in tidewater are generally nice and steep so they are friendly to bunk trailers. Avoid the shallow ramps with bunks, they are frustrating.

Roller trailers can retrieve easily (as long as you have a power winch or arms like Popeye) in almost any ramp situation. Power loading is MUCH scarier and if you miss the center of the trailer the roller racks will scrape the gel coat off in long deep gouges. Plus, the boat will immediately begin to roll back off the trailer unless you crank up the outboard to provide a rooster tail. Loading by yourself becomes a comical ballet and provides unintended anecdotes for scores of disgruntled onlookers.

I added slicks to the last bunk trailer I had and they were the bomb. No fuss, no muss. Be ready for the rig to come off because it will glide quick once the stick-tion is broken. Generally a tap on the brake was all that was needed. Be sure to use the correct number of strips and place them carefully. Forget the liquid rollers - The boat is always on the trailer when I need to apply it, plus it should be sprayed on when the bunks are dry. My bunks were always wet when the boat was off.

Roller vs. Bunk?... This age old problem is best solved by answering the following: Are your ramps shallow or steep? Shallow = rollers, Steep = bunks. Make this decision yourself. Do not let anyone else or any dealer sway you. That way you can only blame yourself!

Attachments

• MX5_2120_Web.jpg
    MX5_2120_Web.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 656
If they look that bad they are bad.

Have a '98 trailer and replaced brakes, bearings two years ago. Lightened up some on the greasing of bearing buddies and in combination with Chinese bearings this time just had some need replacement.

Maybe where you had the trailer stored added to this, or the age. Have to wash down trailer and let it breathe some, sounds a stretch but moist, damp, and shaded areas can accelerate the corrosion.

Dana

If you are going to replace the hubs you may want to consider Oil Bath Hubs. I love them. They are filled with 10W30 motor oil and there is a sight glass so you can see in them. If water penetrates them the oil turns milky. There is an O ring seal on the back and front that is easy to change if needed. They give me piece of mind because I can see if there is a problem before any damage occurs.

Got the update on my bearings. Picked up trailer Friday. All bearings totally shot, corroded, saw them. Couldn't recongnize what was left.

Three-year old bearings, only use trailer couple times a year, was 45 minutes from home couple weeks ago when one heated up. Didn't want to drive it home, was 2 miles from my dealer. They put in good Timkin bearings, not what I got from trailer distributor and dealer elsewhere that sold the trailer to me the first time.

Dana

I trailer about 100 miles each way to the Chesapeake at least 20 times a year. This puts me on the interstate with the trailer quite often. Any weak link will show itself quickly. Here's a few of my own findings:

Break down the hubs for inspection/new bearing sets each year. Put on new seals each time you pull the hub - Don't pull the hub and reinstall without replacing the rear seal. Reason? The seals don't perform well after they've been pulled off the spindle. There is a tendency for them to go inside out and screw up the springs inside the rim. Lubricate the spindle slightly before installation. Check the spindle sleeve for burrs or other rough spots that would abrade or tear the seal. Use emory cloth to smooth them if necessary.

Position your mirrors on the tow vehicle so that you can see the trailer wheels. Get used to monitoring them as you travel. You may see the wheel wobbling before it passes you! Grease being slung out the rear of a hub is a tell-tale sign of trouble. Inspect the inside of your rims often. It will show grease before it fails. Pushing grease out the rear seal is common to folks that over-pressurize their bearing buddies. This can lead to seal failure.

Carry spares as metioned in my previous post. This is especially important if you travel in rural country far from home or if you are running the roads when stores are closed. Carry the tools necessary to effect repairs. Large vice grips, a mallet, tub of grease and emory cloth are essential. I have my spare hubs and tools in a large pool bucket that is water tight. It gets loaded into the truck every trip. Heavy sucker, but worth it.

Have a method of getting the wheel off the ground. Practice it! Blocks of wood will work. If you must, improvise.

Comfort levels of folks that trailer vary widely. I tend to err on the side of caution due to personal experience. Having a bearing go bad on the side of the interstate on Friday at 4:30 PM in the middle of a large metropolitan area is stressful, especially when there is no space to pull your rig off the road. Tracking down parts and tools when businesses are closed is worse. I guess that's another reason they put bunks in some of our boats!

Doing your own wheel bearing maintenance is not difficult and is critical to having the skill set necessary for roadside success. Peace of mind is nice. So is the feeling when helping some other poor shlub that is broken down and needs your help.

Perhaps we should have a generic trailering post? There is too much hype and drama on other sites that cater to boats/trailering. One of the really valuable things that Classic Parker does is give us a safe and educational environment that entertains yet encourages both old salts and newbies. On other forums I usually have to ask myself whether it is worth opening myself up to abuse before I make a post. Classic Parker has always been a safe harbor. Thanks Dale!

Attachments

• 2120-at-the-bar.jpg
    2120-at-the-bar.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Sail-at-Sea.jpg
    Sail-at-Sea.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 451
Good information Ranger Tim.

I check my hubs by feel (temperature) when I trailer. I don't tear them down, and I would have expected more than three years but I have good bearings this time.

Good suggestions.

I basically tow to get to summer slip and haul out, and repairs or winterizing. I check grease, temperature of hubs, I have a washdown kit on both axles.

My siutation for others to know, is that the bearings didn't overheat this spring but let go this time.

I did brakes, brake lines, master cylinder, at same time three years ago on a '98 trailer.

Dana

Oh yeah, I forgot! Always check the hubs by touch whenever you stop while traveling. Sometimes they get hot when in the sun, but usually they are just warm. Too hot to touch indicates potential trouble.

Some trailer photos, 7400 lb tandem axle, 64 rollers, upsized winch and trailer jack.

Attachments

• DSC03043 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03043 (Medium).JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC03142 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03142 (Medium).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC02421 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02421 (Medium).JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC02422 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02422 (Medium).JPG