Need to repair hole in livewell (2300DVCC)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Law Dog

Reaction score
We spent last week at the beach and were in and out of the live well which was full of bait. Anyway, I noticed a hole in my live well the last day. I think it must have been a weak spot that cracked due to putting the lid on repeatedly. You can look in the hole and see the fiberglass (I assume that's what it is). I would say there is an eighth to a quarter inch of empty space between the outside of the live well edge to the fiberglass. I want to fix this hole for many reasons but am most worried about little pieces continuing to crack off. Also, you will note that the hole started to creep up onto the top of the livewell.

I have never fixed anything like this before. I want to plug the hole but also want to get something back into the hole and the inside area around the hole to provide stability around the existing hole. I think I can see a spider crack forming from the left corner of the hole. Thus, I think the hole will just get bigger.

Bottom line --- this seems like a weak spot because nothing was done to cause it other than using the live well lid. I just want to fix the hole and stop the spreading.

Thanks for any help and remember that you are talking about a true amateur making the repair.

Attachments

• Summer07 132.jpg
    Summer07 132.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 529
  • Summer07 133.jpg
    Summer07 133.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 530
  • Summer07 134.jpg
    Summer07 134.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 530
  • Summer07 135.jpg
    Summer07 135.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 530
Good job posting the photos. :wink:

Do a forum search for member GW204. Brian posted project photos and a how-to doing a fiberglass repair of a much larger crack/hole in the washboard of his old Grady that would be a great primer for your repair.

Your repair is much smaller than Brians, but the steps to a professional looking repair are the same.

Good luck!

Looks to be a void in the layup. I'd get a tube of that epoxy putty that is in a stick, where you cut off a piece, knead it together, and apply it. The color will be off-shite/gray, but ... Would be easiest, cheap, even cures in water if/as needed. You also might adhere a support piece underneath the area, as edges are a natural stress point for cracks to grow.

Or, if not too old - warranty claim, as that is a mfg defect.

Easy 3 hr fix. Grind away the cracking that you suspect will continue to crack. Grind back the edges of the hole so they are feathered a bit, and you are sure you have exposed the entire void defect.

You can use a demmel with a grinding bit for wood, or you could use a counter sink bit on the end of a screw gun (cordless electric drill). Once everything is ground away and otherwise solid again, dab (with a tooth pick) some Parker gelcoat (regular mix hardner ratio) into the remaining defect. Scratch it in real good to make sure you are not leaving any voids. When the level of the gelcoat is even or slightly higher than the existing gelcoat your are done with that step. Let cure. Cures faster with the heat of a drop light. If using the drop light to assist with the curing process, in about 1.5 hours you are ready to use some 400 then 600 wet or dry sandpaper and a small sanding block. The sanding block can be a small square piece of starboard or just about anything. In the curved area of the repair, you can roll up a piece sandpaper and carefully shape by hand. Just beware not to dig any holes. Using water from a cup, keep the sandpaper wet and sand everything flush with the existiing gelcoat---use 400 first then finish with the 600. When you first start to sand, the new gelcoat will feel tacky, but the tackyness of the new gelcoat will be sanded away during this process. When you are happy with the flatness/seamlessness of the repair the sanded area will appear to be dull. Use a clean cotton rag and 3M Finesse It II polish (expensive). This polish, after an ample amount of rubbing will take out the scratches left behind by the 600 sandpaper, and will leave a smooth glossy finish just like the original gelcoat. Later on, you protect the repaired area with some teflon polish/wax.

If you follow the above steps and don't get it perfect the first time, such as a low spot. You can simply add more gelcoat to that area, let cure again, sand and buff out.

Even though you are any attorney-- I have confidence that you will prevail.

jim

Back