New Simrad NSS8

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannonigans

Reaction score
. .....so I am wayyyy behind with. . .everything. Have been on 72 hour work weeks for about 6 weeks and I followed it up with a week of night shift. .. ..was debating on having someone install my electronics, but dang $$$$!! So I bit the bullet and did it myself. . .and John_Madison CT ....you were right. ..pretty straight forward. Took my time with the mounting and cutting.....everything else is pretty much 'plug and play'. About the only snag I ran into was both transducer cables were about 3' too short!!

. ....the boat still won't be in for a couple more days, so no reports on how she works yet. ...other than the dozen times I played at shows and in the yard! The Garmin is my old unit. . . .I decided to keep it for a back up. Remounted it where the old FF was.

Here's a few pics. .............. ..

. .... ...I purchased the package at the Defender sale. Played with a whole bunch of different units/brands. .. . ..but kept coming back to the NSS8. Really like the touch screen/knob option. It is super user friendly.. ....I ended up getting the NSS8, 3G Radar (not on yet), Structure Scan, GS25 GPS Antenna, and a new Simrad VHF. . . .. .everything is networked through the NSS8 unit. Really can't wait to play!!

Attachments

• Electronics.jpg
    Electronics.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Electronics4.jpg
    Electronics4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Electronics5.jpg
    Electronics5.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 218
  • Electronics8.jpg
    Electronics8.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Electronics6.jpg
    Electronics6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 218
. . . ...guess it's about time to give an update on the new electronics. .. ...there's quite the story with them, but I will try and keep it short .. ....but I know it won't be!

. ......first trip out with the new unit I was a few miles out and it locked up and shut off. It came right on when I turned it back on and didn't do it again that trip. Over the next few trips it continued to freeze and shut itself off. . ....I went through ALL my wiring, connections, etc. and found nothing. Started my communications to Navico via email. . .. . .and then phone calls. ... ..I went through 4 different techs. . ..each one had a completely different idea of what the problem was. One of them even had me send them back my GS25 (antenna) back to them. . ...on my dime . ....for replacement. I did. It wasn't the problem!! Went through weeks of troubleshooting. . ... ..at the time there wasn't even any issue similar to this on THT. . ....

. .. . ...frustrated and tired of troubleshooting. . ...I was ready to send it back for replacement. The deal would be I would have to buy a new unit from them. . ...mail the defective one back (again on my dime) and then when they get it I would be reimbursed the cost of the new one when they receive it. Grrrrrr!!! So here we go. . ...one more call to get the process started. . ...BUT the tech I got this time suggested I reinstall the software prior to sending it back. .. . ..WHAT THE?!! I had asked the first few techs if it could be a software glitch and they said absolutely not! This tech also said "Do me a favor. For shits and giggles if it doesn't work download the old software. See how that runs." I did, and. . . .. . ..

. . ......new install of the new software (2.5). . ..froze up and shut off. Now 20 miles out I install the old version (2.0). . .. . ...ran all the way in with no issues. I have been running the old software all summer with zero issues and the unit is great! There are several posts NOW on THT about the issues Simrad is having with the new 2.5 software. Once people go back to the 2.0 version there are no more issues. However. . .. .the new version is the one that supports the wireless hub. I don't have this so no biggie for me. Hopefully they get a fix to the issue soon, but for now I am good to go. . ..

. . .. .and go I have! Now that the system is functioning properly I LOVE it! It is soooo easy to use. Went to Montauk yesterday and with a few taps of the screen I had a new route. Coming back is tap, tap, reverse route. ...done! The combo of touch screen/buttons is great. ....especially when fishing. The sounder is fantastic. ....picks up everything. Haven't played with the structure scan/down imaging too much yet, but black fishing is right around the corner so I will be using it plenty. .....This unit does so much...has so many cool features. .. and is so easy to use. ....even with the weeks of frustration and the software issues. . ..I am glad I bought it. Now I just need to get off by dupa and install the radar!!

Back