New speed record set today

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to pick my boat up at Tri-State Marine in Deale today, and ran her home to my slip after completing her spring service.

The trip north was uneventful as I spent the time checking all systems and getting some time on the motor. Speeds averaged from 18 to 25 kts depending on the conditions. Seas were ~1' with about a 10 kt breeze from the north.

At the end of the season last year the motor had started giving me a little trouble starting and running while cold. I thought it might just be the December temperatures, but I did let the service department know, and I asked them to check it out when doing the spring tune-up.

As it turned out, the O2 sensor had gone bad and I had several bad plug boots, so in addition to the spring tune-up I had a new O2 sensor installed and a new set of plug wires. Not horrible considering the parts were OEM originals. :)

Once I got into Whitehall Bay where it was a little more protected, I kicked her up a notch and apon entering the flat water of my creek I dropped the hammer...
Turning 5300 rpm at WOT, that OX66 pushed my 2520 MVSC to 35.0 kts before I ran out of room and had to throttle back for the 6 kt zone.

My previous top speed had been 33.2 kts on a 1/4 tank, so hitting 35.0 while carrying a full tank of fuel is huge.
Thank you Tri-State Marine service!

I had one big grin on my mug as I idled the Megabyte to her slip. :mrgreen:

Crikey!

I was only able to hit 50 knots after picking up my Parker 2100CC from Tri-State Monday last.

But I had to slow way down to make it around the new traffic circle on Maryland 2 just north of the turn to Chesapeake Beach, else my SUV and the trailer would have parted company for sure.

Still got the plastic wrap on Yo Ho, too. Adds to the streamlining for those high speed runs.

064.gif

40mph boat .... and NO pictures :shock: ?

Shame on you :roll: !

With 'dirty' running bottom too? Or did you have fresh paint?

Lastly, what's the MAX recommended WOT for that motor? If 6K, you need less prop ...

DaleH":1gznyrss said:
40mph boat .... and NO pictures :shock: ?

Shame on you :roll: !

With 'dirty' running bottom too? Or did you have fresh paint?

Lastly, what's the MAX recommended WOT for that motor? If 6K, you need less prop ...

How is this one? MJ took this before David and I shoved off from the TSM slip. :D

DSCN0003.JPG

I had the camera with me, and believe me the thought did cross my mind...
A lot of water was being covered very quickly at that speed, so I focused all my attention on driving as David called out the speed...
I think he was more tickled than I was when we hit the magic number!

As soon as we hit 35.0 I had to haul her down smartly as I'd already reached the 6 kt mark. You've been in that creek, so you know it's not exactly straight or wide open. :)
Talk about a fun ride... John is right. That first ride of the year is always special. :wink:

She is still wearing last years paint, tho it did get power washed when she was pulled before winter storage. The bottom will be painted in about a month (along with some other work) by a local business, so I guess you could say that she was mostly clean.

Max rpm's on the OX66 2-stroke is 5500 rpm, so I'm right in the zone.
I believe the new 4-strokes max out at 6000.

35 kts with full fuel. I like it. :wink:

Thats great. I have also been very happy with the Mirage Plus. I am swinging the Mirage Plus 15pitch. I know that you done a ton of prop testing to get your boat dialed in just right.

Have ever tried the Enertia? The 17pitch Enertia may give you that extra 200rpm and maybe 1-2mph? Even getting your current prop labbed may give you 1-2mph and 200rpm.

Also, did you ever take out one VPS plus in the hub? I found that give a much better hole shot.

Just my 2 cents.

I am aiming to break the 40mph mark myself this spring!!!!

Megabyte":2lhcreg0 said:
Max rpm's on the OX66 2-stroke is 5500 rpm, so I'm right in the zone.

That's AWESOME Kev :D ! Just wanted to be assured you were a few hundred off ma. NICE prop and picture!

captbone":2xibxj5v said:
Have ever tried the Enertia? The 17pitch Enertia may give you that extra 200rpm and maybe 1-2mph? Even getting your current prop labbed may give you 1-2mph and 200rpm.

I have not tried the Enertia even though it was very tempting. :)
This prop was bought used and had already had some tweeking done to it.
BFaithful turned me on to the seller when it popped up, but I really don't know what was done to it before I bought it.

Truth be told... as my boat "gains weight" over the summer, a less agressive prop in the 16p range would probably be better for me.
But... I'm not going to complain at this point. :D

Kevin -

I'm glad you had a smooth day for your trip back to the creek. I thought about you while I was putting in an extra long day in my DC office.

Even with that extra speed, I would not call the Megabyte a "fast" boat. It would be equally unfair to call it a "slow" boat. How then should it be characterized?

How about a "half-fast" boat! :lol:

It's kind of funny that all of us had to put on Merc props to really wake up our Yams. :D

I'm running 19 pitch Mirage Plus wheels on my Grady. I spun them to about 5300 w/ 3 adults, a kid, about 70 gallons of fuel and a load of fishing gear last Nov. That was good for 42 kts against an outgoing tide. :)

IMG_7300.jpg

Back