Number of Batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradV

Reaction score
I have seen it a few times on here. But how many batteries do I need to run? what information and power numbers do I need? Right now I am running 3 27 Series batteries.

Motor (single or twin OB) dependent, newer V6 OBs require more cranking amps at the computers won't fire if the e-system can deliver > 10 maybe 11-volts while cranking. Less the E-Techs by Bombardier which would fire on its own in 1/2 a revolution of the flywheel (due to enhanved magneto technology) provided one could spin the flywheel with a rope that is - DOH!

But regardless, a BEP battery power mgt cluster will resolve all your issues. It even allows 3 batts for 2 motors, combining where needed, only charging batteries where needed. They are de bomb! Any will be my next upgrade someday.

I have 1 battery for each engine 2008 Yamaha 225 4 stroke and 1 house battery. I also have that thing that allows the house batter to be charged once the starting batteries are topped off and also pulls power from the starting batteries down to a certain predetermined voltage then strictly runs off the house.

I have the BEP switch and a two battery switch set up, but now we put a bait tank back in, when we go out for 9 days next week :) I will see how it all runs and works with only two battery's, if I feel concerned, I will add a third battery and get that BEP cluster switch Dale is referring to, they now sell them at West Marine, but if you shop around, you can find them cheaper, they are good set up, the switch set I have now was hard to get, and I forgot where I got it, some place on the East Coast, but it is alll real simple to install, just takes time :) & Money :)

I like the setup i have now with my batteries. I am just wondering if my one house battery is enough when I add another amp or if I need to add another.

I am still learning how my set up works. I purchased a pre owned parker 2310 and it has a single Yam 225 and two batts. There is a switch that allows me to select 1 / 2 or both. but i am not certain how all of the items are set up yet. still learning the boat.

chances are you have 1 switch that runs from both batteries to both your engine and your house panels. If you have 2 switches then you might have a designated house batter but chances are you just have one. Some people run it on both the whole time while others say run it on both to charge then switch over to 1 or 2 when drifting or sitting so you dont drain both batteries. If you really wanted to you can add another switch specifically for a house battery.

i think your right on target. i have only one switch which allows either 1/2 or both. I do charge at the both position and when i go out from the dock i always run on one, thinking if it dies i have the other. thanks

Single motor here with twin Optima Blue top batteries.
Not a lick of trouble in 6 seasons.
YMMV

Since i started this post figured id let you know that I am adding a 4th battery. I am going to parallel the house batteries so I will have 2 27 series working on the electronics and each motor gets its own starting battery. So i have 3 switches and 4 batteries now and if i want to add anymore batteries ill have to find them a new home since my hatch is full now.

I have the boat taken apart right now so i think once im done with this next project ill do a hole photo shoot and show off everything i did.

I added a house battry this year to go with my other two, so I have now have one battry for each motor and the house battry. I also have 3 switches that can utilize all three systems. They are also wired as the port motor charges the house battry, but the house battry cannot draw power from the starting battry.

I frequently overnight 120 mi offshore, so the battery issue becomes very important to me. All my batts remain isolated from each other but charge simultaneously by utilizing the unused auxillary charging lead/plug that comes off the alternator and hangs capped in front of the engine near the bottom of the pan.

Although I carry a third (fully charged) battery, I only use the two which are currently AGM group 31s (same dimensions as the 27s). I like to keep them isolated from each other so what I do is leave the Perko batt switch in position 1. I never select "both" unless an emergency. Battery 2 is hooked up to the aux charging lead.

So the way this plays out while underway is, number 1 batt gets charged at all times via the battery cable. Number 2 battery gets charged at all times via the aux charging wire. Never a need to remember to change the Perko switch unless there is an emergency. All batteries remain isolated. Number 3 battery doesn't get hooked up unless running some underwater lights, and in that case they are alligator clipped directly to the batt.

There are many ways to do it. On a Yamaha 4s just remember that there is an unused aux charging lead that will charge a battery any time the engine is running.

Here is a pic of the charging wire form Yamaha. You can make your own. Retail is about $80. The plug snaps into the aux charging lead (remove protective plug) then exits with the rest of the engine wires thru big plastic chase into the transom, then simply attach the red ring terminal to the positive side of the batt.....done.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,044
My 2005 2120SC has two batteries, with a 4 position switch - 1/2/both/off. If I run the boat at 1 or 2, is the other battery getting a charge even though it won't be available for use until it's switched to on?

Not sure how the standard Parker configuration is.

Thanks.

Itguy

4 position switch - 1/2/both/off

Switch position #1: One battery is connected to the engine and second battery is not (isolated). Check the wiring to the selector switch then label each battery as #1 or #2

sp #2: second battery is connected to the the engine and first battery is not (isolated)

sp ALL: Batteries #1 and #2 (ALL) connected to the engine

sp OFF: Both batteries are disconnected (OFF) from engine

read and print a copy of the product manual for your model
ex
Perko http://www.perko.com/

Brent is 100 percent correct.

A couple of years ago I verified this info with Eric (Parker engineer) to make sure when I was running the aux charging wire in my previous Parker.

According to my Dealer, Parker apparently already wired my "unused" auxillary charging wire from my F250 to one of my 2 batteries. If I understand this scenario correctly, using my 4 position Perko switch, if I switch it to batt #2, BOTH the battery cable AND the auxillary charging wire would be charging that battery? Seems redundant and is that a hazard? Was planning to use the "unused" auxillary charging wire to charge a dedicated 3rd "house" battery and the regular battery cable connection to charge the original 2 batteries via the selected Perko switch position, until I found out it was already connected. Need advice... Thanks
grouperjim":2iy05c1o said:
I frequently overnight 120 mi offshore, so the battery issue becomes very important to me. All my batts remain isolated from each other but charge simultaneously by utilizing the unused auxillary charging lead/plug that comes off the alternator and hangs capped in front of the engine near the bottom of the pan.

Although I carry a third (fully charged) battery, I only use the two which are currently AGM group 31s (same dimensions as the 27s). I like to keep them isolated from each other so what I do is leave the Perko batt switch in position 1. I never select "both" unless an emergency. Battery 2 is hooked up to the aux charging lead.

So the way this plays out while underway is, number 1 batt gets charged at all times via the battery cable. Number 2 battery gets charged at all times via the aux charging wire. Never a need to remember to change the Perko switch unless there is an emergency. All batteries remain isolated. Number 3 battery doesn't get hooked up unless running some underwater lights, and in that case they are alligator clipped directly to the batt.

There are many ways to do it. On a Yamaha 4s just remember that there is an unused aux charging lead that will charge a battery any time the engine is running.

Here is a pic of the charging wire form Yamaha. You can make your own. Retail is about $80. The plug snaps into the aux charging lead (remove protective plug) then exits with the rest of the engine wires thru big plastic chase into the transom, then simply attach the red ring terminal to the positive side of the batt.....done.

I also run 4 batteries on my Parker. I had the electronics installer add two more while doing the install. I don't know all that much about batteries but I have two switches (1, 2, both, off) and the batteries are wired parallel as two banks. I basically just put both switches on 1 when I'm running out so they are fully charged then switch to the other while scouting, trolling, drifting, whatever. My bait tank is always running as is the stereo and all electronics and I haven't had any issues for three years this way. Not sure if it's the absolute right way to do things but it has worked fine so far. I was just told that I shouldn't run the switches on both because it puts too much strain on the alternators. Not sure about that but I follow what I was told. Randy.

m2cw
The alternator has 2 charging outputs.
I dont know how your switch is wired
but here is an example of 2 batteries, one engine, one charging circuit setup
The + from battery 1 goes to + side of Switch position #1
The + from battery 2 goes to + side of Switch position # 2
Use SP #1, engine will use power and charge battery #1 only and battery #2 is not used or charged (isolated)
Use SP#2, engine will use power from battery #2 only and battery #1 is not used or being charged (isolated)
Thus the switch position in this case controls the batteries being used

For switch postion ALL (or 1+2), power is drawn from both battery 1 and 2 and the charging circuit will charge both batteries b/c it see both batteries are one battery or bank

Without seeing your setup, the primary charging circuit should charge the battery 1 and 2, depending on the switch position, and the secondary cc could be used for a third bank but this will a high load on the alternator so you will need to determine if it can support all batteries when they are being used and discharging and the charging times

Back