Oil changes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil in my two F-115s the other day. Easy as pie.

Changed the oil in my Ford F-250 6.0 PS Diesel today. Easier than pie. Wish I had been changing the oil in my truck all along.

Dave

aka

Yeah its amazing how cheap the materials are for changing oil. Its just taking the time to go buy everything and get a container large enough for 11 quars of oil from the boats and 15 quarts from the truck.

Took me longer to pour the 15 qts from one-quart bottles than it did to drain the old oil and change the filter. I used synthetic at $8 a quart and a $15 filter. So the total cost to me was $135. Last time I had the dealer change the synthetic was $250. :shock: :shock: :shock: Never again.

Pep Boy's took the old oil without a problem. Only challenge was getting the old oil out of a 5.5 gal galvanized pan into a 5 gal bucket to take to Pep Boys. Made a mess. Will do better next time.

Dave

aka

I’m not sure about the F115 but on my F250 the oil filter is a PITA to get out and takes allot of paper towels (or a diaper) to catch all the oil from ending up in the cowl. Other than that it is not bad. I change the oil in all my vehicles accept the 6.0 PSD. Every month or two I get a special offer from Ford for a $59.00 oil change with semi synthetic (what Ford recommends) and includes filter and disposal. I can't even buy the materials for that price so I will keep going to the dealer as long as I keep getting these special offers. I have a coupon now to Waldorf Ford that I will not be able to use if someone is in the area and wants it expires 9/1/09. I am not a big fan of full synthetic in a diesel so I choose a heavy use maintenance plan and change every 5000 miles. I think contaminates are a bigger issue than lubricity in a diesel and see no advantage to dumping expensive oil at 5000 mile intervals. In a clean burning gasoline engine I prefer full Mobile 1 synthetic.

:arrow: One thing I want to suggest to anyone changing there own oil with a Ford 6.0 PSD. Only Use Motorcraft Oil Filters! Some Fram and other manufacturers DO NOT HAVE ANTI SIPHON VALVE. Without this valve oil can siphon back to the pan leaving the top of the engine dry for your next start. You will not have any signs anything is wrong initially but damage will take its toll and Ford will want to see receipts for your oil changes if you are under 100K warranty and have issues. If you are using a filter without anti siphon valve……you will likely hear Sorry. The problems could be many as this engine relies on high pressure oil to fire fuel injectors and a high $$$ pump that feeds the system sits on top of the engine (inside) will eventually go more than likely taking $2500.00 worth of fuel injectors with it. I do not work for or represent Ford I am only a 6.0 PSD owner with something to share.

I change the oil in my Jeep myself and buy Mobil 1 at Wally World in the 5 quart jugs (the 4.0L motor takes 6 qts).
Mobil 1 oil and Mopar filters are all that I use.
When I'm done changing the oil, the used oil goes back into the jug for disposal.

She is a 1999 with 235,000 miles on her, and still holds 50#'s of oil pressure off-idle when cold. :wink:
Been running synthetic oil in her since she turned over 50,000 miles.

The best part about doin' it yourself is not saving the $$$. It's knowing that you haven't stripped the threads on the plug, and that you have double-checked the filter gasket for leaks. Won't get that peace of mind at Jiffy-Lube. :roll: :roll:

MaxOut":264fdtam said:
One thing I want to suggest to anyone changing there own oil with a Ford 6.0 PSD. Only Use Motorcraft Oil Filters! Some Fram and other manufacturers DO NOT HAVE ANTI SIPHON VALVE. Without this valve oil can siphon back to the pan leaving the top of the engine dry for your next start. You will not have any signs anything is wrong initially but damage will take its toll and Ford will want to see receipts for your oil changes if you are under 100K warranty and have issues. If you are using a filter without anti siphon valve……you will likely hear Sorry. The problems could be many as this engine relies on high pressure oil to fire fuel injectors and a high $$$ pump that feeds the system sits on top of the engine (inside) will eventually go more than likely taking $2500.00 worth of fuel injectors with it. I do not work for or represent Ford I am only a 6.0 PSD owner with something to share.

When I took the Motorcraft oil filter out and compared it to the Fram, there was no difference, and there is no anti-siphon on either filter element. On the 6.0 PSD I have, the filter assembly is on the top of the motor. When you take the cap off, there is no oil in the filter cavity. According to the manual I have,

If there is a difference, please provide pictures showing the anti-siphon valve.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":4cvfd7p9 said:
MaxOut":4cvfd7p9 said:
One thing I want to suggest to anyone changing there own oil with a Ford 6.0 PSD. Only Use Motorcraft Oil Filters! Some Fram and other manufacturers DO NOT HAVE ANTI SIPHON VALVE. Without this valve oil can siphon back to the pan leaving the top of the engine dry for your next start. You will not have any signs anything is wrong initially but damage will take its toll and Ford will want to see receipts for your oil changes if you are under 100K warranty and have issues. If you are using a filter without anti siphon valve……you will likely hear Sorry. The problems could be many as this engine relies on high pressure oil to fire fuel injectors and a high $$$ pump that feeds the system sits on top of the engine (inside) will eventually go more than likely taking $2500.00 worth of fuel injectors with it. I do not work for or represent Ford I am only a 6.0 PSD owner with something to share.

When I took the Motorcraft oil filter out and compared it to the Fram, there was no difference, and there is no anti-siphon on either filter element. On the 6.0 PSD I have, the filter assembly is on the top of the motor. When you take the cap off, there is no oil in the filter cavity. According to the manual I have,

If there is a difference, please provide pictures showing the anti-siphon valve.

Dave

aka

I'm sorry I mispoke (its been a while since I read the information) the valve is not in the filter it is in the housing and the difference in the size of the filter is what causes the problems. To be honest I do not change the oil on this truck because the dealer I bought it from sends me promos for $59.99 and I can’t even buy the materials for that. The main thing I got out of the information I have seen and read is to just use the Motorcraft filters, they are not allot more expensive so I do it to avoid issues with warranty. See Below and make your own choice.

I read the information on -

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Great resource for Ford Truck Owners (like "Classic Parker" for Parker owners)

There is plenty of Senior Diesel Techs that post there experiences here.

GOTO this video and it explains allot of issues with aftermarket filters and there is even a bulletin from Ford regarding as well-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3mOhQR ... dded#t=230

Hope this helps....

Back