Oil Injector Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semorbugs

Reaction score
On a trip this weekend I got an alarm. Upon inspection I found the oil tank on my starboard motor was at the low marker under the cowling. It appears I was not sending oil from the main tank located in the transom. On the water solution was to add oil to the tank on the engine an fill it up each time the motor went in to alarm indicating low volume. Where would a smart tech start their search? Vessel is a 1996 with twin Yamadog 150's. Would you look at the sending line or pump first? Any insight would be helpful.

I would start with the simple things. Look for wires coming unplugged around the oil tanks. Then check the sensor inside the engine mounted oil tank. Make sure it still moves up and down. I had an 88 Yam 225 and there was a foam-like o-ring at the bottom of the sensor and it would come loose and jam the sensor slide. Your 96' is probably not much different. I'd also check the remote tank and be sure nothing is clogging it. If all of that fails, then start checking that the oil pump in the remote tank turns on when the engine tank sensor is moved to the low position. I'd also grab a repair manual if you don't have one already. It should be hard to figure out, you may just need to spend some time with a meter checking continuity and resistance levels for the sensors and wires.

Good luck!

Have someone hold the manual fill switch (it's on the back of the engine) and listed for the remote pump. If it's running, I bet your issue is a clogged filter on the line running from the tank to the engine. It's a tiny little thing right where the line exists the tank. Don't bother trying to clean it, just replace.

I had the same problem.

Under the transom tank is a small in line filter. The tunnel inside the tank leading to the filter gets clogged and the filter gets clogged.

Pull the tank, dump the oil, very very carefully clean the tank, filter and tunnel with gas..DO NOT BLOW YOURSELF UP. Use very little gas , like 1 cup and swish it around in the tank. you won't belive the amount of gunk that will come out of it.

A buddy who is a Yamaha mechanic told me an algae forms in the oil tank and that's what the gunk is.

Back