Oil Leak Yamaha F250 ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jutah09

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Well I got in touch with the previous owner to find out the maintenance notification was due to not reseting the controls.

However, I notice a small oil leak :shock: :shock: on the swim platform coming from the engine when it when the engine was tilted up. I pulled off the engine cover and notice looked like some one spilt oil when putting oil in her. Now I wished that would be the case, however I think there is more to it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Would like to trouble shoot it prior to handing it over to a mechanic, especialy I just got it her back from putting a windlass ($$$) on her.

Maybe the maintenance notification was do to the leak? My oil pressure looked fine though.

Oh - and my fishfinder doesn't work now. :( :(

Will barkeeper helper work on removing the oil stain on the swim platform too.

Thanks everyone - now I have to go through the agnoy of beeing at work thinking what's wrong with my boat. :evil:

What kind of oil is it??

Could be from the crankcase or could be hydraulic steering fluid.

I would bet woever changed the oil let the filter spill into the pan when it was removed and that is what you are seeing on the platform, sloppy work.

If its hydraulic fluid then you have a leak at the steering ram.

I doubt the fishfinder is connected to this, does it turn on?? If not check the fuse and go from there.

Thanks Bryan, it's not hydraulic oil. My friend said the same thing, that it may be from sloppy work. I'll keep checking the oil level and hopefully it was only that.

The fishfinder came on then went off. I heard raymarine products are very sensitive and need a certain level of power. Thinking of hard wiring it to the battery and see if that works.

A little discouraging since I only purchased the boat in November and everything was in great working order.

I've had a little oil leakage from the dipstick on a couple of occasions. Make sure it is pushed in tight and turn the engine to port before you tilt it up.

Wayne

I had the same problem. Hope this helps. Check the position of the oil dipstick. There is a weep hole at the top. Make sure it is facing to the rear of the engine. If not oil can leak when tilted up. I removed the clamps from the black tubing that houses the wiring to the motor and flushed it as residual oil was in there.

Did someone say turn engine to port when stored? I had a puddle of oil on the swim step the other day also. Had engine up and straight.

As far as the raymarine problem, yes you are 100% correct, I had a raymarine depth sounder on my last boat, and they are VERY power sensitive, Any fluctuation in power and the unit shuts down, I ended up sending mine back and they changed some internal part for me and it didn't happen again. Raymarine has good customer service.

I just read about your oil problem. I assume that you have discoverd the problem by now but I will tell you about a similar observation and the solution.
My boat was in the shop for other matters. When I recovered it I found the same type spill on the platform. It was a very obvious and growing puddle.
The boat had been sitting with the engines trimmed up, a position I usually don't leave them in. I had previously spotted what appeared to be spilled oil inside the cowling but since there were no other signs of problems, I.E. oil levels good, I just let it go. It turns out it was the oil pump seal. I am assuming that as long as there was pressure on the pump and the engines were kept level the spill was minimal like a spray. The solution was a new oil pump. I went ahead and did two new ones.

Skipper Hub

Skipper Hub -

There wasn't anything wrong with the oil leak. It was from spilllage changing the oil filter, I had a yamaha cert (Accurate Marine, LI) look over the engine.

For the fish finder issue I just rewired it.

My apologies - I should of brought closure to the inquiry.

Thanks for everyone's response.

Back