Oil other than Yama Lube

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'93 200 yamaha. Been using the sale boat us brand or WMT store brand for ~ 10 years. Ever seen the Yamalybe or quicksilver plant..?

1997 Yamaha 225 OX66 here (on a 1996 2520 MVSC hull).

I use Penzoil full synthetic exclusively.
http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/pen100synout.html

DSCN0004.JPG

I use Penzoil's semi-synthetic and like it, only $12/gallon @ Wal*Mart. Last time I checked the P'zoil full non-dino oil was somethjing like $20/gallon.

Even the PowerTech brand full dino TC-W3 oil Wal*Mart sells is very good, as it is the SAME formula of the full dino oil as sold by one of the to-3 outboard Mfgr's. I have that factoid in a statement from an email to me by the Director of the NMMA who tests and certifies the TC-W3 oils.

My brother uses Yummie Lube pretty much exclusively and he swears it's the lowest smoking non-full-synthetic out there. But he buys it in bulk and I doubt he pays > $20/gallon. And when I mean he buys in bulk - I mean in bulk!

Like me, I saw that P'oil semi-synth on sale for $7/gallon, tax free, and I bought sooooooooooooooo much ... that I've been using it for 2-years now and I still have what ... some 13 gallons left? And I might go thru 20-gals in a good season!

But because I am a self-proclaimed cheap ba$tard, if/when heading offshore on long runs where I know I'll put 100 miles or more on the boat, I add the cheap $8-9/gallon oil from Wally World. What the heck, it's just gonna get burned out at cruise speed anyway ;) .

Yup, whenever you see oil on sale - BUY as much as you can, even if your wallet can't afford it. It is sure NOT going to go down in price!

Just to be clear...
Yamalube is a semi-synthetic, which means that it is a blend of both dino and synth lubes.

I don't use Penzoil 100% synthetic because it is cheaper than Yamalube, because it is not.
I use it because it because it makes (almost) no smoke, and it burns very, very clean.

I've been running the Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic for a couple years now. I do a decarb probably every 100 hours with 2-3 cans of Yamaha Combustion Cleaner.

I don't know if it's necessary, but what the heck.

Latest posts

Back