Operating the Electric Toilet/Head

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle of a recent thread was a discussion on how to operate the electric head that comes on some Parker boats; I could not re-find that discussion nor on what thread, so here's a new one, on just this subject.
The previous discussion centered around the fact that everybody's heads/toilet on their previous boats (electric or manual-pump heads), had a 'Control-Device'; either a two-position knob, or a two position lever. One 'position' on the Control-Device was to bring seawater 'into' the bowl of the toilet. The other 'position' on the control device, which was usually labeled "Dry-Bowl", was to evacuate the bowl/flush the bowl... The toilets/heads on the Parkers have no such 'Control-Device'. According to what I've found, the toilets on the Parker's utilize a 'new-fangled' 'DUEL FUNCTION" macerator pump system, that does both... (it 'eliminates the need for the hand pumps, AND THE DRY-BOWL Valves; the 'dry-bowl-valve' being the 'control device' mentioned above).
1619287530491.png
Here is more; make a special note to read what to do if the 'new-fangled' "Duel Function' macerator pump does not actually work properly (As in not 'dry-bowling' the bowl)... You Will Have To Partially Close The Inlet Valve, until the bowl is completely pumped out. (The inlet valve is under the cuddy-cabin floor in the bilges; not very convenient!).... Below, there is also some simple/useful advice on 'winterizing', and on adding water to the bowl before using, if it has not been used in a long time.....
By the way, if you have an electric toilet on your Parker, there are TWO (2) macerator pumps. One is part of the toilet itself, and is what makes the seawater come in, and the 'waste-water-and-stuff' go to the holding tank... The other macerator is under the pilothouse floor, and is what is used to pump waste 'Overboard' when/if you are legally three miles offshore (Do us all a favor, and NEVER use that function; the fish you catch and eat, also eat most anything floating around in the ocean!).. Use a shore-side pump-out station... please). ☺(I was told as a kid, if you say please, almost everyone will comply).

1619288003909.png

Last edited:
Thanks Andy! You are always thorough in your responses. Much appreciated!

Cap'n Dan
Hi Dan, Thank you! for the kind words.... It was just recently some of us were involved in a discussion on this subject, here on CP, and for the life of me I could not re-find where the discussion took place! One more thing that is so great about this CP group-of-folks, is that the discussion spurred me on to learn more about how and why this toilet/head on our Parker was so different from the others we have had on previous boats... Now that I know, my wife will be happy to learn that now, I might even let her start using it! ☺

This is just out of curiosity on my part;
For those of you with toilets/heads on your Parkers, how many of you use them? On past boats I used them extensively/daily, but those were cruising boats. On our Parker, we used it once since we've owned it. After a little research (seen above), I think now that I have a better understanding of how the 'Parker head' works, (as compared to the ones we used to have), we might start putting it to use. I'm just curious what others have done/are doing?

Have not used mine...yet. Previous owner did not use it either. I will be following this discussion, both out of curiosity abour how others use their boats and desire to better understand the systems on my boat.

Cap'n Dan

Somewhere in the middle of a recent thread was a discussion on how to operate the electric head that comes on some Parker boats; I could not re-find that discussion nor on what thread, so here's a new one, on just this subject.
The previous discussion centered around the fact that everybody's heads/toilet on their previous boats (electric or manual-pump heads), had a 'Control-Device'; either a two-position knob, or a two position lever. One 'position' on the Control-Device was to bring seawater 'into' the bowl of the toilet. The other 'position' on the control device, which was usually labeled "Dry-Bowl", was to evacuate the bowl/flush the bowl... The toilets/heads on the Parkers have no such 'Control-Device'. According to what I've found, the toilets on the Parker's utilize a 'new-fangled' 'DUEL FUNCTION" macerator pump system, that does both... (it 'eliminates the need for the hand pumps, AND THE DRY-BOWL Valves; the 'dry-bowl-valve' being the 'control device' mentioned above).
View attachment 28783
Here is more; make a special note to read what to do if the 'new-fangled' "Duel Function' macerator pump does not actually work properly (As in not 'dry-bowling' the bowl)... You Will Have To Partially Close The Inlet Valve, until the bowl is completely pumped out. (The inlet valve is under the cuddy-cabin floor in the bilges; not very convenient!).... Below, there is also some simple/useful advice on 'winterizing', and on adding water to the bowl before using, if it has not been used in a long time.....
By the way, if you have an electric toilet on your Parker, there are TWO (2) macerator pumps. One is part of the toilet itself, and is what makes the seawater come in, and the 'waste-water-and-stuff' go to the holding tank... The other macerator is under the pilothouse floor, and is what is used to pump waste 'Overboard' when/if you are legally three miles offshore (Do us all a favor, and NEVER use that function; the fish you catch and eat, also eat most anything floating around in the ocean!).. Use a shore-side pump-out station... please). ☺(I was told as a kid, if you say please, almost everyone will comply).

View attachment 28784
so trying to figure mine out as i have never used.Its electric with two macerator pumps.2820XL has black water tankunder pilothouse floor and has freshwater tank under rear passenger seat.the single push button switch operates pump attaced to toilet,how can it fill and also flushes?you have to open and close ball valve each time you use?the "key" switch obviously operates the other macerator pump under pilot house which i plan on never ussing.thanks

so trying to figure mine out as i have never used.Its electric with two macerator pumps.2820XL has black water tankunder pilothouse floor and has freshwater tank under rear passenger seat.the single push button switch operates pump attaced to toilet,how can it fill and also flushes?you have to open and close ball valve each time you use?the "key" switch obviously operates the other macerator pump under pilot house which i plan on never ussing.thanks
You and I have the same system. I did not have to open and/or close, nor 'partially' open and/or close the thru-hull valve under the floor, like the set of instructions mentioned you "might" have to do.
I've used the head, really only once, 3+ years ago, and shortly after that, I super-flushed the entire system with chemicals and fresh water (a LOT of fresh water). I did so, just to see how (If ??) it worked, and to super-clean it out.
That one time I used it, I was surprised that it worked; it brought in sea-water and flushed the bowl with that single switch. Before using it I searched and searched for a two-way switch. "Flush" and "Dry-Bowl". Of course we know now, it does NOT have but one switch/push-button. I'd guess it has some kind of sensor to know how and when to do it's job; I don't know how, I just know that it did work. ?☺?☺?... As I talked about in the original post, this type of system baffled me; I had never seen one before. Our previous boat had two complete heads, and the boat before that had one. I've also used numerous friends boats heads, and other charter-boats and such. They ALL had the two-way 'option' switches and/or levers; "water-in/flush", and 'dry bowl', meaning water-out... How that macerator pump under the head knows how to do this on its own is beyond me. I could make some guesses, (like a pressure valve in the hoses?... a pressure valve in the pump that 'knows/senses' that there is 'more' to pump out, than just the sea-water?..... When I first posted this I was hoping one of the ClassicParkers gurus was also a nautical 'hocky-ologist' and would have an answer that makes sense,... so far, THAT it works, and HOW it works, remains a miracle of hockalogicaL science! ☺

Last edited:
You and I have the same system. I did not have to open and/or close, nor 'partially' open and/or close the thru-hull valve under the floor, like the set of instructions mentioned you "might" have to do.
I've used the head, really only once, 3+ years ago, and shortly after that, I super-flushed the entire system with chemicals and fresh water (a LOT of fresh water). I did so, just to see how (If ??) it worked, and to super-clean it out.
That one time I used it, I was surprised that it worked; it brought in sea-water and flushed the bowl with that single switch. Before using it I searched and searched for a two-way switch. "Flush" and "Dry-Bowl". Of course we know now, it does NOT have but one switch/push-button. I'd guess it has some kind of sensor to know how and when to do it's job; I don't know how, I just know that it did work. ?☺?☺?... As I talked about in the original post, this type of system baffled me; I had never seen one before. Our previous boat had two complete heads, and the boat before that had one. I've also used numerous friends boats heads, and other charter-boats and such. They ALL had the two-way 'option' switches and/or levers; "water-in/flush", and 'dry bowl', meaning water-out... How that macerator pump under the head knows how to do this on its own is beyond me. I could make some guesses, (like a pressure valve in the hoses?... a pressure valve in the pump that 'knows/senses' that there is 'more' to pump out, than just the sea-water?..... When I first posted this I was hoping one of the ClassicParkers gurus was also a nautical 'hocky-ologist' and would have an answer that makes sense,... so far, THAT it works, and HOW it works, remains a miracle of hockalogicaL science! ☺
thank you!now only one other mystery is the fresh water tank under Port side rear/pass seat.This tank has to be dedicated to toilet ONLY,because there is no sink?So,there is no option to use raw seawater to fill toilet bowl?Also,is yours a Jabsco brand electric compact?i could not find a Brand on mine.thanks again

thank you!now only one other mystery is the fresh water tank under Port side rear/pass seat.This tank has to be dedicated to toilet ONLY,because there is no sink?So,there is no option to use raw seawater to fill toilet bowl?Also,is yours a Jabsco brand electric compact?i could not find a Brand on mine.thanks again
Your only option is to use raw sea water. The fresh water tank under the port rear passenger seat has nothing to do with the head. It feeds the fresh-water washdown in the cockpit. The hose-bib for this is usually located under the gunnel, on the port side, close to the forward part of the gunnel. Some boats have an option to flush from the fresh water tank; I've never seen this on a Parker. It's usually found only on larger boats, with large water tanks. It was an option on our last boat. It had 240 gallons of fresh water. I believe the Parker is 10-12 gallons??
Here's a picture of the hose bib; it's the black cap, with the chain.
1646755077728.png

Last edited:
Whoops, forgot to answer your other question! Yes, our head is a Jabsco. I know this for two reasons.
1) I have replaced three Jabsco's on previous boats. I know what they look like. The Jabsco's were (are?) considered one of the less desirable heads. I replaced them with Raritan PH II's and one Raritan PH II-E. (In the 1980's Raritan was rated Best, and Best- Buy by Practical Sailor)... I believe the best head, by far, that I have seen, used and worked on are some of the old Groco's. They're super-heavy duty, and mostly bronze parts!.... You could flush a bowling ball if you had the inclination! (Slight exaggeration ☺)...
Oh, and #2) I got the Jabsco Manual that came with the boat...

EDIT: Here's a link with a post, that explains it in more detail... (about half way + down the post)... In short, boat builders who installed this model Jabsco, (the one like ours, without the two-option switch/lever for 'flush', and 'dry-bowl'), took the less expensive option. (aka, 'took the cheap way out').... The 'normal' operating head that I and others are more used to, costs more. What we have on our Parkers does not work as well, hence the 'advice' they gave about possibly having to reach under the floor to half-open a valve! Gezzzzz.... talk about inconvenient!

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/how-does-an-electric-toilet-work-229141.html

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, for more explanation of the head on my 2020 2520. I was part of a discussion here last year regarding the Jabsco electric head. I Think I’ve got it figured out. Open the raw water seacock in the cabin bilge. A quick partial flush gives a bit of water in the bowl. After use depress the flush button. The waste is then sent to the holding tank. You then have the option of deck pump out or overboard discharge with the macerator. My conundrum was understanding how the button “knew” how to direct the flow. But it’s slowly becoming clear.
I’ve never used it, but as the old saying goes, “Better to have a head and never need it than to need the head and not have it” 😂

Now I’m wondering if my spring commissioning should include pumping a few gallons of seawater into the holding tank, with a commiserate amount of the blue goo that breaks down waste?

Thanks Andy, for more explanation of the head on my 2020 2520. I was part of a discussion here last year regarding the Jabsco electric head. I Think I’ve got it figured out. Open the raw water seacock in the cabin bilge. A quick partial flush gives a bit of water in the bowl. After use depress the flush button. The waste is then sent to the holding tank. You then have the option of deck pump out or overboard discharge with the macerator. My conundrum was understanding how the button “knew” how to direct the flow. But it’s slowly becoming clear.
I’ve never used it, but as the old saying goes, “Better to have a head and never need it than to need the head and not have it” 😂

Now I’m wondering if my spring commissioning should include pumping a few gallons of seawater into the holding tank, with a commiserate amount of the blue goo that breaks down waste?
Yes! (but not sea water; dump in some fresh-water). And if you decide to use it, pour a HUGE amount of 'blue-goo'... use more 'blue goo' than the amount of 'human-goo' that might get it there! (Once again, I'm exaggerating! ☺)

Your only option is to use raw sea water. The fresh water tank under the port rear passenger seat has nothing to do with the head. It feeds the fresh-water washdown in the cockpit. The hose-bib for this is usually located under the gunnel, on the port side, close to the forward part of the gunnel. Some boats have an option to flush from the fresh water tank; I've never seen this on a Parker. It's usually found only on larger boats, with large water tanks. It was an option on our last boat. It had 240 gallons of fresh water. I believe the Parker is 10-12 gallons??
Here's a picture of the hose bib; it's the black cap, with the chain.
View attachment 32435
So i only see a single thru-hull seacock near toilet,not counting one in rear of boat for raw/salt water washdown.
Does the seacock supply water for toilet and also functions for black water tank discharge?thanks

So i only see a single thru-hull seacock near toilet,not counting one in rear of boat for raw/salt water washdown.
Does the seacock supply water for toilet and also functions for black water tank discharge?thanks
I will re-check this to be sure, but to the best of my memory, the sea-water INTAKE for the head (contrary to logic) is the thru-hull closer to the pilothouse. (under the forward part of the pilothouse; Edit, now confirmed. The 'discharge' thru-hull FROM the holding tank, is the one closer to bow; (Edit; now confirmed; The thru-hull that's actually under the head). I'm pretty sure (actually real sure;) about this but I will confirm (EDIT: confirmed).... My guess is the logic to this is that, our Parkers, for boats with 'real heads', are on the small side for boats in general that have heads. (and yes, I AM sure about that! ☺)... It's about having enough room in the bilges, to run all these hoses, without kinking them in tight loops; as there is not enough room in the bilges to 'loop' the hoses without kinking them.... So, the hoses run in an 'illogical' direction.... In general, look under your boat at the thru-hulls. If it is a bronze thru-hull, with a scooped fitting with 'strainers', it is a sea-water INTAKE.... if it is just a round open hole, it is an 'out-take'/discharge....

Last edited:
Back