Parker 2520xl or the 2520xld

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Kaul

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me which boat between the 2520xl & the 2520xld has a better ride. I'm planning on buying 1 of the 2 in the next couple of weeks I'm a charter captain on Lake Michigan fishing for salmon plus do alot of salmon tournaments

Been on both, I think it depends on what your water is like.

My water almost always has slow, small chops. I have a mod v, wish I had a deep v to handle that kind of water better. However, I like the fuel efficiency and stability (at anchor) of my mod v better.

I purchased the XLD in 06 and live in Nor-Cailf in somewhat rough conditions and large swells. I never had the opportunity to ride on the Xl but the XLD handles pretty well that is why I opted for this model. Fuel is not as good with a full crew, ice, 45-gal bait tank going into the swell my fuel economy drops to 1.5 to 1.7 MPG. Good conditions 1.8-2.0. I know of a few folks in S.-calif with the Xl that are getting 2.2-2.3. Also save yourself some $ and don't get the twin 200's, the twin 150's are plenty of power. The single 250 might be a little under powered unless they are going to roll out the 300 or 350.

If you can swing it, try to take both out in the conditions that you normally find, and run them at troll in your typical pattern.

DV's can be tender on the drift or on the troll. They also require more horsepower to run them and that relates to higher fuel cost.

MV's drift and troll flatter, take less horsepower to run, and get better economy, but you have to slow down when the seas get rough.

Only you can decide on how you want to compromise. More speed in sloppy conditions, or go slower and burn less fuel.

It's all about compromise.

NormH":3f3957vf said:
The single 250 might be a little under powered unless they are going to roll out the 300 or 350.

Yamaha's one step ahead of you...check out the new 350HP V-8 at your dealer or website. You can hear it run. :)

I have a 2520xl on Northern Lake Michigan and while I have not run it too much in adverse conditions since I got it a month ago, I specifically bought it to go slower in the generally tighter wave periods on the Lakes. It stays on plane with a single 250 down in the 14 knot range and just sort of clunks along which is a lot easier on my back.

I have owned almost all the high rent center consoles along with a Blackfin and a couple Carolina Classics and currently have a Regulator 26 in Lake Michigan as well so I have a pretty good database for comparison. If I am in a hurry like say Harbor Springs to Leland for lunch the Regulator is perfect. If we are running 5 miles down the shoreline to troll, the Parker suits my needs perfectly. The outboard on the transom is also much more usable for trolling than the bracket models as well or even the eurotransoms on some boats.

Welcome aboard jasperdog!

FWIW... After replacing my factory 12x12 tabs with a set of 24x9 Bennetts, I can now keep my 2520 MVSC (14 degree deadrise) on plane in the 9 to 10 kt range when the Bay really gets sloppy.

Back