Parker hulls wood vs Steigercraft composite

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Kaul

Reaction score
can any of you guys tell me if you have had any proplems with the wood in the parker2520xld vs Steigercraft boats that are composite

If the stieger had wood it would splinter because of the pounding ride.

I looked over a Steiger a couple of years ago while I was on Long Island. I thought it was very roughly finished boat.

Capt. Fred,

I guess you are talking about Parker's wood stringers vs Steiger's glass stringers.

Under normal conditions, you wouldn't see any rot in the stringers for 20+ years and only if there was a long-term moisture problem.

Parker does glass over the wood and the deck seals are 100% so I won't worry about that.

I have a 1998 and my boat is 100% solid. Also, I have never heard of any wood problems on a Parker.

Brian

Parker23":1ey5rldq said:
If the stieger had wood it would splinter because of the pounding ride.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I heard that!

OUCH!!!!

Come on guys, are they really that bad? Or are we turning into the THT?
I did a lot of research on both the Steiger and Parker and opted for the Steiger.
The main reason was the flush deck to the helm. I do not like the step down.
I looked at both very carefully and the only way to buy a Parker without the stepdown was the 2310 model or 2510.
I wanted a pilot house.
That being said, anyone with a 23 parker can come head to head coming back from Montauk with the cross tides from the Gut and Gardineers Bay.
I like my 23 and it has not fallen apart. Great platform and more than fishable.
Granted the fit and finish might not be as pleasant as a Parker but a fishing boat is a fishing boat. I personally do not care for the carpeting inside the pilot house and cabin. Reatains heat and a great source of mildew when sitting or over storage.
Just my $0.02 worth.

To the administrators:
With these comments, May I still contribute to the site?

Tom

Hug - thank you for an honest review of the Steiger. You are always welcome here. I am sure the digs about the Steiger were made tongue in cheek. To my eye the finish on the Steiger gets better every year. The 26 is one mean rig! It is nice to have Parker face some competition, that way they too will keep inproving their line up. Your contribution to Classic Parker is always appreciated.

Brad

I loved the 25 Chesapeake. Great boat. Roof was too thin though. I would not hesitate for an instant owning a Steiger. Baywood Marina was actually my first stop in downsizing my 2520SL

Parker 23,
What specific model or models are you refering to.
Thats a pretty broad statement, given the fact that they are close in design, size by size.
Tom

THE 25' pilothouse that rides like a plank of wood, and no the 25' parker does not ride like it.

IMO, foam and fiberglass forms do not constitute "stringers". Merely a cheaper way to build a boat (way less labor).

Check out Parker's website under "Faqs" as to why Parker hulls with real hand cut stringers and a box grid system fiberglassed in place is the strongest hull we can buy. FWIW, two of the most seaworthy boats made also use wood stringers...Carolina Classic and Albemarle.

Back