Penn TRQ 200 for Jigging

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker 2310

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who may already have these reels, i just picked up two Penn TRQ 200 reels for jigging offshore. They have a 6.3-1 gear ratio so they are quick and not heavy. I have not gotten any rods yet, still looking at them. My question is about the line, they hold 450 yard of 50# braid line. But i wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone is reducing the length and using mono under braid or just spooling the entire 450 yards of braid. The farthest I generally travel out is 55- 60 miles out in the area between the 40 & 50 fathom lines, so i am dealing with a maxium of 240 - 300 feet of water. I welcome any comments on what everyone else is doing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Penn International Torque TRQ 200.jpg
    Penn International Torque TRQ 200.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 550
I'd say you are right on - just make sure you have some backing so the braid doesnt spin.

I think your original question is really more about saving some $$ by not spooling the entire reel with "superline" right?

I spool my reels with 100% braid for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't bury itself in the mono backing
2. It won't slip around on top of the backing
3. If I typically fish 200' deep water, at the end of the season I just cut off about 100' of the braid and start fresh for the next season. By spooling the entire reel with braid (most of which never sees the light of day), I get a bunch of seasons before I have to re-spool the reel.

For those reasons, its worth the extra $20 to $40 in line per reel for me.

I just use hockey tape, and spool them up 90% with braid. I use a short topshot of mono for chafe/stretch resistance. My jigging rod has 350 yds of 50# braid, then 20' of 70# mono.

Friction tape, like you'd wrap the handle of a hockey stick. Its fabric tape with some grippy texture on it. Electrical tape, although useful, is too slick for the braid to bit into.

Actually there is an "electrical tape" that is similar to "hockey tape" (might even be the same thing..?)
http://www.amazon.com/3M-3407NA-Frictio ... 903&sr=8-1

used in most OEM automotive applications for anti-abrasion

The "hockey tape" stuff is usually called "gauze tape" or "friction tape" and is sold in any sporting goods store for wrapping racquets, hockey sticks, etc. They have piles of it at my local Sports Authority...

SBH2OMan":2h1brsea said:
Actually there is an "electrical tape" that is similar to "hockey tape" (might even be the same thing..?)
http://www.amazon.com/3M-3407NA-Frictio ... 903&sr=8-1

used in most OEM automotive applications for anti-abrasion

The "hockey tape" stuff is usually called "gauze tape" or "friction tape" and is sold in any sporting goods store for wrapping racquets, hockey sticks, etc. They have piles of it at my local Sports Authority...

Note that the package you linked to doesn't say "Electrical Tape". It says "Friction Tape". They are distinct things, and yes, both can be used in electrical wiring, but are not both called "Electrical Tape". There's also Mastic Tape, rubber splicing tape, butyl tape, and loads of other rubber tapes. To be perfectly clear, I was calling Vinyl Electrical Tape as Electrical Tape. :)

I do a lot of wire splicing for work, so I'm a little anal about the tapes I use.

We must be bored - we're debating the names of tape on a boating forum. :D

I don't know about you guys, but the weather here is awful (and we are spoiled with being able to boat year-round)... Its been raining non-stop for 4 days and expected to keep going for another four or five days. The clock is ticking on the seasonal closure of our groundfish at the end of the year, and it doesn't look like we'll have another shot at them before it shuts down, so I'm grumpy... :D

We've got almost a foot of snow from a storm that was supposed to "stay offshore and hit Cape Cod with a dusting, and few inches at most"

My snowblower had a flat, no gas tank, and hadn't been run since Jan '09.

Now its got a tank (from my chipper), full tires, and runs just like always... loudly, with a lot of vibration. But, it shoots wet heavy snow about 40', so I'm not complaining.

Back