Performance of 30 X 9 Bennett Trim Tabs...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
On a 2520XL....

Will be posted right here as soon as I get back! :D

Going for a run out of Willis Wharf on out the inlet and into the ocean... I might have a tough time finding some rough water but I'll see what I can do.

:D

You tease you ...

tease.jpg

You ain't kidding it's a tease!!! :cry: :cry:

Not only is it BS (Before Splash) for most of us up here in the Frigid Northeast, but it is also a Friday Morning :( :(

Most of us poor working stiffs are still hard at work, nose to the grindstone, spending countless hours scrolling through forums like ClassicParker, THT..... :shock: :shock:

Tease intended...

I'm back but I'm in a rush to make an appt. in Va. Beach (along with finding some tog bait)

The tabs are amazing. I ran through some mess in the inlet at speeds that surely would have pounded with the stock tabs.....nothing but the bow of the boat plowing through. And this was no where near full deployment.

It will hold planing speeds much lower than before with no hint of coming off.

When turning sharply from a head sea to following sea one must remember to raise these tabs or you risk slamming your wife forward as the bow plows deeply..... :oops:

I'm convinced I'm seeing better speeds at equal rpms as well as better fuel mileage.

Gotta run... .

More when I get home around 10PM

Richard

esfishdoc":2a9z80ow said:
I'm convinced I'm seeing better speeds at equal rpms as well as better fuel mileage.
Without a doubt! I tell you, I can dial in up to 20% improvement, though at least 10% is typical.

Try this when you have a beam sea at a 45 degree angle off the bow or stern. Using the tabs, raise only ONE SIDE of the boat, usually keeping the wave side out of the slop. My tabs have indicators, so I might put one @ '8' to '10' rather than both at '4'. This is when I will typically get a better than 10% improvement in mpg.

Just CAUTION :shock: , your boat will be heeled - so pay CLOSE attention while at the wheel!

So back home.....(got some fiddlers and blue crabs to drown Saturday)

The bottom line is this... wow.... what a difference!

I don't think I will really appreciate the full extent of the performance of these tabs until I have the opportunity to try them in a true 3 foot bay chop but if my short time in the Machipungo inlet today is any clue it will be fantastic.

There wasn't much wind and the ride to the inlet was pretty smooth. I got to play with the responsiveness of the tabs and played with getting up on plane and seeing how slow I could go.

Getting up on plane fast just isn't important to me but it is easier and quicker with the bigger tabs.

Running smoothly at lower speeds on plane has been somewhat of an annoyance in the past because if the boat was slowed too far it would fall off and then require throttle to get back.... you know what I'm talking about. Should not be a problem now. I think I was doing 13 mph by GPS and staying up just fine. Before it didn’t like anything below 15.

Minor adjustments when running at 25 mph requires a tap…… like a keystroke…. Not enough.. another tap.

As I approached the inlet I could see plenty of big breakers in places I don’t normally see them so I knew I’d have some rougher water to play in. It wasn’t long before I was cruising through 2 to 3 footers at 23 mph with absolutely no hull slapping (pounding). There is a turn to the north I took getting a bead on the next bouy. I was in 13 feet of water with the boat coursing through the waves at about 45 degrees.

While I was thrilled at the performance of the tabs (and boat) I was a bit nervous as this was my first trip out this year with new tabs, waterpump, oil change, through hull fittings....this was not the place for something to fail. As I spotted the bouy ahead I noticed there were breakers in places I’ve never seen breakers….. as in the usual path I take. This was an easy decision. Time to go back!

I was well aware of tabs up in a following sea but I waited too late into my turn and I felt the full effect of what was likely just a gentle stuffing of the bow. This resulted in some sudden loss of forward motion. Karen was in her usual relaxed reading position (I would get sick if I read a book on a boat) and was caught off guard but nothing but a dirty surprised look and a quick hand up to keep her head off the front window resulted.

I made this run again just to get it right the second time. Piece of cake.

Playing around with these monster flippers I found an interesting method of using them in shallow water. Running back to the dock was at low tide and there is a stretch where it is easy to get in the mud if not careful. As I approached this area I tilted the motor up and gave it full or near full bow down tabs and kept a speed of around 10 mph. The boat felt level as I went through this 100 yards of 2.5 to 3 feet of water.

Remember the first time you operated a boat with trim tabs and you thought, “now I know what I’ve been missing”, or , “how did I ever get by without them”? Well that is the same reaction I had today. The stock tabs work fine until you experience the way the boat eats up waves with the deeper V forward of wherever it is the stock tabs get you.

I feel like I have a new boat…. For under 500 dollars!

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... t=0&page=1

Richard

esfishdoc":12awq5lf said:
Remember the first time you operated a boat with [bigger] trim tabs and you thought, “now I know what I’ve been missing”

I do know that feeling. :wink:
Great report. 8)

Monstah Flippahs...... :D :D

We need to start calling you "BigFoot" 8) 8)

Great write up... I felt like I was there in the cabin with you!

Thanks for posting...

Back