Performance of Airmar St 850 (speed and temp)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I've covered the installing of this unit here.

http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1721

I've had the boat out twice now with the unit working just fine. I was a little worried about the temperature reading before putting the boat in the water. On dry land with everything hooked up spinning the speed wheel caused large fluctuations in the temp reading.

However the sea trial demonstrated that was just an oddity of the unit when not in the water. The temperature readings are one degree higher than a test thermometer. My test thermometer reads 32 in ice water and 214 in boiling water so I know that it is pretty close.

The speed through water reading is a bit disappointing as it changes rapidly as it seems to read every 2 seconds. When cruising along through calm water at a steady speed the STW reading changes every 2 seconds within a range of 10 to 15 mph with a few zeros thrown in. It is mounted properly and the wheel is free of grass and obstructions.

Fortunately I was really only interested in the temperature portion of this unit and it works well.

I would have been disappointed had I wanted it for speed through the water.

Richard'

Can't help you...I have a transom mounted depth/speed/temp unit.

Mine looses bottom all the time, and I think I need to lower it about 1/8" to keep it down out of the turbulence.

Dave

Back