pickup points

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffcoon

Reaction score
I have a 1994 21' center consule and need to add pick up points to the transum. The bow already has one. I have my boat in a yard with a hoist and will be deploying via hoist with a bridle. (saying adios to the launch ramp) My bridle is made of spectra that could lift a semi, so no worries on that end. I am having a welder fabricate stainless pick up brackets and want to make sure I properly place them on the transum... Since its an all glass hull, this is probably a silly question, but, have to be safe. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should call Parker and speak with their engineer to get the points. I would not be guessing on this or thinking trial and error.

windknotnc":l1j8dsh4 said:
You should call Parker and speak with their engineer to get the points. I would not be guessing on this or thinking trial and error.
Ditto ...

Wind and Dale, thank you for the excellent suggestion. I contacted Robin at Parker and he completely hooked me up with all of the information required. And, my pal at Rigworks in San Diego who is building my bridle called the Parker engineering department for a few clarrifications, and they treated him equally as well. One more reason I chose a Parker boat. Thank you again for the replies!

Im back to the drawing board. After numerous inquiries to Parker it looks like the 21' CC is designed to be picked up with a 21' spreader bar that drops verticle lifting lines to the two stern eyes and one bow eye. This is different than, for example, the 21' Boston Whaler that has two pick points on the transom and two on the bow, all of which can be tied to angled pickup lines that meet at a common ring that is grabbed by a crane's hook. It's hard to imagine that the 21' Parker cannot be lifted in this fashion? Has anybody lifted a without a giant spreader bar?

Ok, still working. Reviewed a post by Bent Monkey to topic, "Bow lifting eye (Help!)." In a response to the post, BM (not being funny here) offered that he lifted his 23' using a three point bridle (two lines to the stern and one to the bow, all meeting at a single stainless ring slung onto a hoist hook. In his post, BM stated that for his bridle's bow line, he came (at an angle obviously) from his bow eye, up through the anchor locker, and up to the hoist's hook, which is at the boat's balance point. I asked Parker if using the bow eye in this fashion was ok. They wont offer anything more than "the bow eye is not designed for that." I get the liability thing, but it sounds to be that BM's protocol may well work. Has anybody else used the bow eye in this fashion? (Again, I asked Parker Engineering and they have no interested in weighing in on this.) I truly hate the fact that I might have to start drilling holes in my beautiful boat...

Brent, thanks for your thoughts. I truly appreciate it. I am very intrigued by the "bow sling" concept (link below), as provided from the link you gave me. It would appear that this sling clips onto the bow eye (on the exterior of the hull) and then two lines come up over each exterior side of the hull, only to join again at a common point which then hooks up to the hoist. Since Parker engineering says that you can pick the boat up from that bow eye when lifting totally vertically, zero degrees, I have to imagine the hardware is equiped to handle that type of load... Thanks again for weighing in. Much appreciated!

http://www.storesnshops.com/S10004/Detail.asp?P=Maslgbs

Thank you everybody who offered opinions/ideas. This forum sure is great. I'm hooking up with my buddy who owns Rigworks in San Diego on Saturday to figure out the balance point and to put together a template for the bridle. I will make sure to take a bunch of pics of the finished product that I will post here in order that maybe someone in the future will find them helpful. Cheers!

This is what i use to lift My 2820XL into the water. I don't have her hanging to long and don't have any extra weight on board all coolers are empty and i don't load her up until she is in the water. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 655
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 655
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 655
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 655
When I purchased my 23 CC Parker the dealer hoisted it of the blocks and onto my trailer.

To accomplish this he used two hoisting points for his lifts. Obviously one fwd and one aft. A spreader bar was used aft and attached to the eyebolts on the exterior transom which was fairly easy. At the bow, a heavy lifting strap was folded over and run through the exterior bow eye and pulled through far enough to have enough strap to go up each side of the bow and then meet together above the foredeck to be attached to the fwd crane lifting hook.

Before any lifting, the dealer had to put some padded chalks on each side of the bow under the rub rail between the hull and the strap to distribute the weight more evenly so as not to crush or stress the hull to cap joint that is covered by the rub rail.

This was the method used by the Parker dealership in S. FL. This is not to imply that there are not other or even better ways to do it. YMMV

I did contact Parker they told me it was fine to lift it as long as you don't leave it hanging from those points all the time. In other words lift and lay her down in the water or on the trailer. The use of spreader bars is good, but as you can see not needed if you have them use them. At the club where I launch the boat from almost all the members do not use spreader bars and they are lifting bigger boats then the 28. 31's and 32's even. It comes down to use what makes you feel good. Make sure you got good straps and go to it. The members at the club call my Parker a tank they come onbard and the first think they say is, "this deck is like walking concrete" I just smile. With that said the lifting points are solid just like the rest of the boat. Man I love my Tank I'm mean Parker.

This is a Parker I saw in the Florida Keys this is the way he has it out of the water, it looks like he just keeps it like that as well. hope this helps as well.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 580
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 580
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 580
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 580
My 21' is off and running. I've been meaning to post more pics but have dropped the ball. I will remember my camera this weekend! Basically, to accommodate lifting, we installed new lifting eyes on the transom (installed right next to the existing eyes which we left in place for porposes of using tie-downs when tailoring). The new lifting eyes (as well as the preexisting eyes) pass through 5"x4" stainless steel plates that sandwich the transon. We used some pretty high end French made hardware as each of the new eyes are rated at about 10k lbs. (I will find my receipt at home and post the manufacturer/rating/price inf.) As to the bow eye, We replaced the original eye with the same new hardware installed on the transom. Interestingly, when I inspected the original stainless eye, I observed that it had begun to corrode and was pitted, so I was pleased to replace it. At any rate, we turned the new eye around so that you can hook it through the anchor locker. Fortunately, the hoist (as you can see in the pic) that I use is made to accommodate racing sailboats so we had lots of room to work with and were able to clear the T-top without a spreader bar. As to the bridle, we used spectra rated for about 15k lbs. As stated, I will force myself to remember to put more pictures as I hope that maybe this will help somebody out in the future as much as the folks on this website helped me out in reaching a great solution. Finally, as our kids were in the same first grade class last year, I got Ray the owner or Rigworks in San Diego, to help me out with all this stuff. He has a ton of experience, had some great ideas and made me feel good about doing everything the right way, to assure safety.

Attachments

• june 19 2012 003B.JPG
    june 19 2012 003B.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 499
Ok, here's another picture describing the subject matter or my last post... I will post more. (also, the name of my boat is not a silly play on words, Parker Anne is my nine year old daughters name...

Attachments

• 21 resized at 40 percent.jpg
    21 resized at 40 percent.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 215
Back